4 - Thomas

'Blem' = cigarette

I was in a bad mood. I didn't know why. I was in a good mood up until Valerie told me that she had to take a call from her brother.

Talking to her in the car was... strange. But I couldn't deny the fact that I craved every piece of information about herself that she gave me. I've stored every bit. I don't remember the last time I actually cared about what someone had to say. I hated everyone and everything but couldn't seem to find something in her to hate. What I did understand though, was that she was finding plenty of things in me to dislike.

"Hey, Will." I heard her say. I didn't want to eavesdrop but it was hard considering she was right there. And I was curious. I was curious about everything to do with her. It scared me and I didn't know what it meant.

She paused then said "I haven't smoked a blem in over a month, alright?" She said, tucking a half empty pack of cigarettes behind her. She wore a small frown and had a look of sibling annoyance on her face. I smiled to myself.

"Look, I know I said I could, but I can't really talk right now." She sighed.

"Yeah, I know I said I could but I have a... friend over." She tucked a strand of her shiny brown hair behind her ear. That hair. 

"I do not have a boyfriend, you know this!" This conversation was becoming funnier and funnier and I couldn't help a smirk make its way onto my face.

"Just quickly tell me what this is about so I can go."

She paused, listening.

I could feel her mood shift. He shoulders tensed slightly, like she was prepared to defend herself or something. Her lips went pale, forming a thin line and she stood up just a little straighter, no longer at ease, leaning on the kitchen counter.

"What?" She said, her voice barely above a whisper.

"He isn't coming here, William." She said firmly, trying to mask the shake in her voice. She paused again and I could nearly hear her brother's persistent tone on the other end.

"I have to go." She hung up. She stood there for a few moments, seeming to recount whatever distressing news her brother had revealed. Her brown eyes were staring off, not focused on anything particular. Her damp hair was forming loose curls, framing her face before she blinked, realised I was there and caught me red-handed staring at her. She made her way over and asked with a sigh, "Did you hear all of that?"

"Do you want the truth?" I offered.

"You heard." I gave a short nod in response.

"Is all of your family in London?" I asked gently.

"Yes, pretty much."

"Then who do you have here?" 

She hesitated. "I have Mable, she's basically family."

"Don't you get sad that you're so far away from them at all times?"

"That's kind of the point." She said in the smallest, most fragile voice.

"I get that." I said in an equally small voice. She looked at me then, sat next to me on the sofa. Every time she opened her mouth, I found myself telling her things I barely tell Marcus.

"What about you, do you have anyone here?" I could tell that she was just making small talk but I liked her asking me questions despite this.

"Basically my whole family except my sister. She moved to Paris around three years ago." I said. What I didn't mention was that my sister left in the middle of the night, put a note on my bedside table explaining where she was going but left no means to contact her. I was the only person in my family that knew where she was and I intended to keep it that way.