Story of Tonight

Lafayette was the first to come down for breakfast, following the scent of crepes. He nodded in greeting with Jefferson but did a double take when he saw Alexander's face. The Frenchman gasped and rushed over to the boy, cupping his face in his hands.

"What happened, mon Ami?" He asked softly.

Alex averted his eyes, unable to look into the pleading face of his friend. Instead, he looked down ashamed.

"Jefferson? Do you know?" Lafayette turned to the other man in the room.

Jefferson gave Alex a calculated look, before replying. "I found him like this, he said he hit his face on the bedpost. I cleaned and treated the bruise when he stumbled out of his room at four in the morning."

Lafayette didn't look entirely convinced, like he knew there was more to the story, but he nodded slowly, not taking his eyes off Alex.

"Well make sure to be careful next time, petit Lion. It looks very painful."

The Schuyler sisters came down next. Eliza gasped, while Peggy and Angelica froze, a distraught look crossing their faces. Lafayette looked at Thomas, urging him to tell them what happened. Thomas sighed and repeated the story, announcing after that he would not be repeating himself again.

When everyone was seated and eating, the topic of Alex's face came up once again.
"I know you were clumsy when we were alive together, but smacking your face into a bed post? I can't imagine the worry that you put your family through!" Laurens joked, not noticing how Alex froze in his seat.

The small boy tried to keep his cool.
"Oui, I fall alot." He replied, his voice only trembling slightly.
Lafayette was looking at him oddly, but refrained from saying anything.

"Shall we continue watching the musical after breakfast is cleared?" Washington asked. He was met by various sounds of agreement, and so they finished their crepes and began to clear up.
Alex stood at the kitchen sink with Mulligan, who was washing up. Mulligan handed Alex a towel and the two worked contentedly beside one another. Eliza wiped the table while Peggy put the dishes away, and the others prepared for a long day of reliving their lives through song. Or rap as there was alot of that.

Alex was enjoying the mundane task of drying up, humming quietly to himself as he dried the plates and cutlery and put them to the side for Peggy to clear away. Suddenly Lafayette appeared behind him, looking hesitant.
"Petit Lion? May I talk to you for a second?"
Alex looked questionably at Mulligan, who quickly called over Martha to take over Alex's job.

Tentatively, Alexander followed Lafayette as he lead him into a sort of study room.
"It is nice, eh, the amount of rooms in this house?" Lafayette commented, seeing Alex peering at the bookshelves. The red head nodded in reply, not taking his eyes off a particularly interesting looking book.

He heard Lafayette sigh behind him.
"Look, mon Ami... I just wanted to say- I am here if you need me. And if someone back in your own timeline is doing something to hurt you, I can be here for you."
Alex's fingers trailed up to his bruise.
"Yes, this is about your injury. God forbid, I know what it looks like when you've been hit with something."

Alex's heart began to pick up, realisation dawning that he knew, Lafayette knew that something wasn't right with him and his injury. Seeing how stressed out he looked, Lafayette quickly put a hand on Alex's shoulder.

"I just want you to be safe, Petit Lion. That's all. And I want you to promise me, that if this happens again, or the situation worsens, you'll come find me? I'll figure out a way to help you somehow. Okay?"
Alex nodded half heartedly, feeling like he didn't really have a choice. Lafayette did seem nice and caring, though. So maybe it wouldn't be too bad to come to him for help.. What are you talking about? Nobody can ever know! You are on your own and you deserve to be that way. Seeking help is weak and stupid.
The voices in Alex's head did not hold back, and subconsciously, he listened to them.