Part 1 - The Altar

Esther worked endlessly, cleaning throughout the Cathedral. Everything glistened under crystal lamps and stained glass.
       As she completed her last task, she prepared to return to her room, carrying her supplies.
        Crossing the corridor that lead to the rital chamber, she noticed a strange smell. Peering down the hall , she could see the spotted trail responsible for the stench.   
         Quickly she began to clean the impurities, working closer to the chamber door. As she did, she felt the presence of an Angel.
         "You are keen, little one...you are needed in the chamber. " Ulysses spoke to Esther gently, but she still felt a coldness in her stomach.
   Entering the chamber, the stench grew stronger. Blood and flesh splattered the glittering surfaces. In the center of the chamber, strapped to the alter, was a flayed demon.
          Esther gasped. She looked away. Trying to remain calm, she turned and faced the wall. Reaching into the supplies unsteadily, she began to work.
           No matter what the mess was made of, Esther would have it removed quickly. She had no choice.

           Soon after, Ulysses and Ism entered the chamber. Without acknowledging Esther, they continued to the alter. The two Angels completed a prayer. Upon their final word, they released the heap of flesh from it's restraints. The demon moaned pathetically.

         The Angels turned to leave, but Ulysses paused at Esther.

"Clean him."

        Esther did not look at the Angel, although she questioned if she heard him right. Instead she lifted her gaze to the altar.

         The large stone slab sat like a table under the crystal chandelier. Usually adorned with ornaments and ritual items, the altar had been cleared to make room for the prisoner.
          It's body was now tied by the words of the angels, spread wide and facing up. She slowly gathered her supplies and approached.

         Esther had never seen a demon before. It looked like a beast, but she could also see features of a man under the torn skin.
     As she studied the body before her, she blushed at it's nakedness. Her mind was clouded.
        Holding a simple cloth with water, Esther began with the feet of the demon. They were clawed, and covered in such thick hair it look like fur. All of it was matted with blood and flesh.
        Gently, she lifted the cloth to the first disgusting foot and wrung warm water onto it, watching some grime drip to the floor. She massaged the cloth over the demons foot, grimacing at the sensation of tangled hair under her hands. She worked up.

       Esther paused at the start of the demons thighs. Despite the flayed skin and hair, she could see his member clearly if she looked. She couldn't possibly be expected to clean him there.

       For the first time, Esther paused to look at the demons face. Hidden under a wild heap of black hair, the demon appeared to have the face of a man in some ways.
        It's once large horns had been broken off. The mangled stubs bled and oozed. It's skin was pale under the dried blood, and it's upper lip was torn, revealing yellowing fangs in it's mouth.

         Esther gathered new water again before she slowly approached the head of the demon. She watched it's chest rise and fall in shallow, rapid paces. She could see where ribs were broken
         Standing over the body, she gently wiped blood from the demons neck, revealing black bruises and open muscles from the angels torture. A sense of pity grew in her.

           Gently, she working towards the chin. As she dabbed warm water over the demons broken lips, it stirred. She froze.

       Esther watched as the demon took a hard swallow and moved to look at her. It could barely open its eyes.
      After a moment, the demon rested it's head again, and Esther wondered if it had truly seen her.
       She began her work on the injured mouth. As she gently dabbed on the exposed fat, the demon groaned softly. It's breath smelled like death.
       She continued to work, studying the demons face as she went. It was a strange concoction, handsome and horrid. As she removed the cloth up it's cheek, one large black eye snapped opened to peer at her.

     Esther stumbled off the alter steps, falling to the floor on her backside. The demon watched. It stared at her as she sat on the marble floor. It did not speak.

       She rose slowly and regained her composure before approaching the alter again. Instead of returning to the demons face, she wiped it's chest.
         It watched her.
       It's breathing was labored, but controlled. As she wiped gore off the nearly skinned chest, she worked her way down it abdomen.
       She took small swipes, avoiding the largest of wounds. It was becoming more difficult as the demon began to move.
           The beast suddenly snarled something at her, and Esther jumped. She matched it's gaze and for a moment, they stared at each other. She couldn't read its emotion. Then it spoke again.

        "Lower." It growled. Confused, Esther looked back to her hands as they rested on the demons abdomen, gripping the cloth.
Looking down, she began to clean again.
        The demon whined and shifted it's pelvis up, moving it's member closer to her hands.
         "Lower..." The demons said again desperately, and she realized that he was begging her to touch him.
           She could feel her face grow hot and she turned to pour water abruptly on the demons face. It gasped and sputtered for a moment before coughing roughly and fainting.
            Esther took the opportunity to clean the rest of the demons face, moving more roughly than before. It began to wake again, moaning pitifully. She finished by cleaning the stumps left from the demons horns.
         As she wiped, the demon sobbed in pain, and strained to get away from her. Without thinking, Esther firmly placed her hand on the demons face, forcing him to be still against the stone slab.
          She was surprised to find that the demon stopped struggling. It froze, only moving it's black eyes to stare up at her in confusion and wince in pain.

           Finally she was done. As she turned to leave, Esther heard the deep cracked voice speak to her again.

"Please..."

      With out a response, Esther left the demon to moan in agony.