Part 3 - The Dream

Esther remained on the marble floor for hours. The demon hadn't moved either. When she finally tried to stand, she found her legs inoperable.
Staggering, she made her way to her bed as quietly as she could. She crawled under the sheet, laid down, and prayed silently. Her legs tingled and stung.
Esther's mind was numb from the encounter with the angels. She feared being thrown out of the cathedral.

What was she even doing here?

She didn't want to heal the demon anymore. Why couldn't the angels do that? She didn't want to take part in it's torture. Esther began to cry before falling asleep.

She had a strange dream. Esther dreamed the room had a beautiful stained glass window, painted with stars and constellations. She mused at them until she noticed the demon on the other bed. He seemed to be contently watching her with black eyes.

"Why don't you give them what they want?" She accosted the demon in her dream.

"Why do you help them?" It whispered angrily.

"I have no choice."

"You are the only one with a choice." The demon said, standing off the bed. Esther recoiled at his rotten, flayed body.
She watched the demon approach her from the corner of her eye. He reached the basin and then toyingly lunged at her with snapping fangs.
Esther flinched before angrily looking up. She was surprised to see a fresh pale face. Handsome, and full of rage.
His horns were fully grown, reaching high above his head. He was no longer emaciated, instead full of toned muscle, with pale, tattooed skin. The demon's attempt to scare her did not work.
Esther's cheeks burned in her dream as she failed to look away from his naked form. She pulled her knees up to her chest.
The demon noticed. Cocking his head, his snarl turned to a grin. Slowly he stood up straight, posing, before reaching down to feel the length of himself.
He continued to saunter closer, and Esther searched for the stained glass.
She could see him massaging himself in her peripheral.
She glanced at him, disgusted, and the demon breathed heavily at her attention. He gripped himself harder.

"Please..." He begged in a whisper.

"Esther...?" The demon spoke like he was remembering her name.
It sent a wave of goosebumps over her body and she clenched her eyes closed, burying her face in her knees.

Suddenly she was awake, laying on the bed. Her heart was pounding and the tingling in her legs had moved further up.
She looked over at the demon in the other side of the room making out shape of a body.
"Good dream...Esther?" He smiled in the dark.

That night, another parcel instantly appeared by the door. Esther wasn't sure what time it arrived, only noticing it as she turned over in bed.
Raising her head, she blinked a few times to be sure it was there.
Curiosity got the best of her, and she soon stood up. She managed to ignite the lamp near to her bed and retrieve the package all without looking at the demon.
It was more clothing and rations for them both.
Esther took her share, placing it on her cot. She gathered the other half and turned to give it to the demon.
Upon seeing him, Esther wondered if he had turned away from the wall at all. She placed his things beside his bed and returned to hers.

Did he really speak to her last night, or was that her dream too?
Esther ate in silence. The demon didn't move.
She wondered what would happened to her if the angels came back, and he wasn't fully healed.
Esther finished eating. She was about to change her clothes when the demon stirred. It rolled over on the bed. She watched intently.
The basin began to fill with the warm liquid again, and the demon slowly sat up. Esther was shocked at how well he looked. Still bad, but so similar to how she dreamed he looked last night.
Her face flushed remembering her dream. She looked away from him. By the time the demon had gingerly stood from the bed, Esther had regained some confidence.

"What are you doing?"

The demon glanced at her before staggering to the basin, which was almost full. After a moment, he swung his legs in and grunting in pain.
"Just get it over with." The demon groaned, closing its eyes and lowering itself into the bath.
Esther didn't move. She just stared, deeply confused. The demon settled, resting his head and arms on the edges of the tub comfortably.
Eventually the demon lifted his head to peek at her and raise his eyebrows in question.

"It wasn't me, it was the water." Esther stuttered, not sure what to say.

The demon scoffed at her before settling into a confused stare himself.

"Only humanity can heal. Isn't that what they use you for here?" He pressed. Esther's face grew warm again.

"No, I just clean..." She didn't met his gaze from the tub. The demon was silent for a moment.

"You clean. For ethereal beings who eat no food, have no footsteps, make no dust?" He asked flatly.

Esther only glared back. What was he saying exactly?
The demon rolled his eyes before leaning back in the basin. She didn't help the demon in the tub, and it didn't ask her to again. He soaked for a while before returning to his bed.

Esther slept deeply. So deeply, she never heard the Angels come to take the demon.