𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓

carmen

A week came and went, and now it's the morning of school. I was nervous but for some reason, I had a feeling that I was going to be fine. Me and Nila met up once or twice with Adrian and his friends and we all agreed to meet outside the main campus doors just before college started. I went over to my desk and picked up the outfit I had planned for today. It was simple, with black flared leggings and a black halter neck top; paired with an oversized white linen shirt that I left unbuttoned. The shirt was a thin material, meaning I wouldn't get hot and sweaty throughout the day, and if I did I could take the shirt off.

I did my business in the bathroom and put some light makeup on, nothing too heavy. Tying my hair up in a ponytail, I pulled out some strands to make it seem natural, and to also suit my face shape better. After getting ready, I made my way into the kitchen to grab a quick breakfast.

"You excited for your first day, Cammy?" I was still a bit sleepy, so Kai's loud voice woke me up fully.

"Yeah, could you give me a ride to campus please?" I asked politely.

"Of course I will. But you know, you have to start driving eventually. You're almost 19." I groaned. Maikel always found a way to bring driving into this. It's not that I didn't want to be able to drive around in my own car, I did. But ever since I failed my test last year, I have a fear of driving tests, and more importantly instructors.

My instructor was the rudest human I think I have ever met; aside from Damian. After my driving test, I went to my bedroom and cried for three hours straight because of him.

"Well why would I want to drive, when I have my own personal chauffeur?" I walk round to where he's sitting and hug him.

Maikel chuckles, taking another sip of his tea. I hated tea, and people who didn't drink coffee weren't human. But people who drank tea were abominations of nature. I didn't want to say that about my own brother, but he left me absolutely no choice.

I grabbed an apple, ignoring Kai's angry gaze on me. I wasn't a breakfast type of person, and I found that it was a useless meal, having no need for it.

About five minutes later, we left the apartment and got into Kai's car, soon hitting the road. I grabbed my smoothie that Maikel premade for me this morning. "So, what do you think of Damian?" Maikel's voice had me choking on my smoothie, struggling for breath.

He offered to stop the car, but I held up a finger, motioning for him to give me one minute. It took me a bit more than a minute to finally go back to normal, but when I did, I tried my best at giving him a smile.

"Sorry, had a bit of a situation there. What did you say again?" I heard exactly what he said the first time, but I was worried he was going to assume there was something between me and Damian.

"I said, what do you think of Damian?" Kai repeats his question, but more slowly, acting as if I was deaf and couldn't comprehend what a single question was supposed to mean.

I thought long and hard about what I was going to say to Kai. It's not like I could tell him about how I think his best friend is the hottest man on earth, and that he called me a bitch, and I can't forget to mention how me and him kept making intense eye contact over the past few days.

I could have said all of that to Kai, but instead I decided to reply with, "He's okay, I haven't really spoken much to him, but he's a little moody."

"Yeah, that's Damian all right. But once you get to know him, he's a nice guy. I know that may be difficult to think about, but he's genuine." Kai turns to me and sends me a quick smile.