𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟖

carmen

After a long night of tossing and turning, the morning finally came and I was ecstatic. It was my first party and I couldn't wait. Most people would tell me 'it's just a party' or 'it's nothing too fun' but for me it was different. I was almost 19 years old and had never been to a party before, so this was obviously going to be a big deal for me.

Getting out of bed, and walking slowly into the bathroom, I sorted myself out before making my way to the kitchen. Maikel wasn't up yet, even though it was half 1 but I left him to sleep- considering he probably had an intense training yesterday.

I was quite hungry and seeing it was lunchtime, I attempted to make scrambled eggs. It was the only meal I could actually cook without getting food poisoning, and even then my stomach would still hurt a little. I leave all the food making to my brother, I'm just not cut out for the cooking life.

I was waiting for my omelet when Nila started ringing me. I picked up the phone and greeted her. "Hey, what's up?"

"Hey Cammy, is it okay if I come round in about 15 minutes? Me and my dad got into another argument again on the phone and I really need you right now." Her voice sounded like she was crying and I became worried. Nila never cried, even when her and her dad would argue.

"Yes of course. Are you okay? We don't have to go to that party if you don't want to." I know I was excited for the party, but my best friend's mental health was more important.

"Are you kidding? Of course we're going. It's a great way to keep my mind off things as well, but I just don't want to be alone right now." I smiled at Nila's enthusiasm, despite her current state. Nila was probably the bravest person I knew, and I could never imagine what she has to go through. Her dad hits her sometimes, when he gets drunk and no one knows. Not even my brother, and if he did I'm sure he would regret every mean thing he's said to her.

"Okay, you can always change your mind. See you in fifteen, love you." I ended the call and plated up my omelet.

I decided to sit at the round dining table for once, finally putting it to use, instead of always sitting at the kitchen counter. I took one bite of my omelet and slightly felt like vomiting because of the taste. It tastes sour and I figured I must have done something wrong. Pushing the sour taste down, I forced myself to eat another five bites before deciding my stomach wouldn't be able to handle one more bite.

————

Fifteen minutes later, Nila walked through the front door. She had an old high school cheer team duffle bag on her shoulder and her eyes were puffy and extremely red. She smiled at me weakly and dropped her bag on the floor. I immediately ran to her and gave her the biggest hug ever. We fell to the floor and she rested her head on my shoulder, wetting my T-shirt.

"I don't know what I did to deserve my dad Carmen. I've never done anything to him." Nila's cries only grew louder.

I ran my hand up and down her hair, smoothing it and with my other hand traced circles on her back. "You didn't do anything to him Nila. I promise you, you're not at fault. You're an amazing daughter and friend, and your dad's crazy if he can't see that."

We sat in the same position for what felt like ages, but I didn't mind. She would say how she just wishes her mom would divorce her dad and they could be happy, she would curse out her dad whilst I reassured her everything would be okay.

Noises came from Maikel's room and I quickly realized he was probably up now. "Nila, come on. Let's go to my room so you can have some privacy." I threw her duffel bag on my shoulder, took her shoes off and placed them on a shoe rack, and lifted her up. She was resting herself on me as we walked to my bedroom.