Messages

I took a deep breath and opened Cole's messages first. My stomach was in knots as I started to read them.

C: good morning. How's the conference going, meet any new and interesting people? :)

C: hey. Is everything ok? Haven't heard from you since last night. I left like 5 voicemails. Call me back.

C: I'm starting to get worried. Where are you?

C: called your mom. She also hasn't heard from you.  Call me Ana!!!

C: what the fuck Ana. Your phone has been on for hours. Are you avoiding me for some reason? Call me

I moved on to the next thread

E: hey babe. Works kinda boring. Mr Burnham was in earlier with his daughter looking for you. Wanted me to tell you she's getting discharged today. When are you back home?

E: is everything ok? Cole said he's been trying to call you with no luck. Call when you get this. Or at least text to let us know you're ok.

I stopped reading and turned off my screen. I was so angry I wanted to scream and throw my phone against the wall. Here are the two people I cared about the most pretending that they still care about me too. I held back my tears and decided to get dressed instead.

After I washed my face with actual product and brushed my teeth, I felt almost human again. I noticed a few items of makeup placed neatly on the counter and examined them closer. The concealer and powder were my exact match.

I wondered how Marcus would have known that.

Every other item was something that I already owned or would have bought. Whoever brought these knew my taste in makeup.

I must have been making noise as Marcus left his study and entered the main living area.

"You look better" Marcus stated as he snuck a peek into the room and looked at me approvingly, "was a bit worried back there. Especially when your face turned green".

"Hey, I was told I can pull green off very well" I playfully stuck my tongue out. "Thanks for all the hygiene products"

"Oh, those" he looked a little embarrassed " my assistant Maria went out to get those, hope they were ok"

I nodded my head

"Well, since you're ready And you don't look like you're going to get sick again, let's get some dinner and get you some clothes"

I tried to protest but Marcus shooed me towards my shoes and passed me my coat.

As we walked down to his car I silently wondered how he managed to get me up into the penthouse. It was quite the distance.

As if reading my mind Marcus answered "I carried you, and let me tell you, you're a loooooot heavier than you appear" I chuckled and punched him lightly on the shoulder.

Marcus dropped to the floor howling in Exaggeration. I couldn't help but laugh at his ridiculous display.

"Get up before I give you something to cry about" I scowled. 

"Don't threaten me with a good time" he chuckled.

As we got to his car he stepped in front of me and opened the passenger door.  I offered him a smile and entered the car.  As I reached for the seatbelt I swore I saw a flash of red hair hiding behind a concrete pillar.  As the car started moving, I turned to get a better look but saw nothing.

This is crazy Ana, you're seeing things. I took a deep breath and made a mental note to get to bed earlier tonight.  I tried to relax but for some reason that uneasy feeling never went away.