Chapter 1

Earth, 2029

The anomalous phenomena dubbed, "The Rift" has swept across the globe. Countless portals opened up in numerous places, causing widespread confusion and panic amongst the citizens. 

At first, they seemed harmless, which led some people to believe it was just some major prank done by some strange secret group that had funding...

...until they came out.

Hundreds of thousands of unknown entities emerged through the portals and invaded the surrounding areas, causing chaos wherever they went. From the major cities, to the rural areas; nowhere was safe.

Humanity attempted to fight back, but the existing weaponry couldn't compete with the much more powerful entities that completely break logic.

When all hope seemed lost, humanity received a beam of light up above from the dark, stormy night of despair.

This light, took shape in a human granted with abilities which enhanced their capabilities.

They were called "The Awakened."

They served as the frontline soldiers of this massive war. Gifted with mysterious powers, they were able to combat the once-invincible monsters and massacre them in the hundreds. Soon, more awakened people began to appear all over the world, greatly increasing humanity's hope in the war.

For three whole years, humanity pushed the monsters out of the streets, forests, beaches, mountains, and oceans--back to where they came from; which gave away a path to plan for an invasion into the unknown territories on the other side.

And then, finally, the day came for vengeance...

It was a one-sided battle which lasted only a week.

It's now 2042, and Earth's now facing a crisis. Countries having intense disputes over claims on otherworldly resources, hidden criminal organizations that are lurking in the background, cultists that claim to have seen the light, and much more; with the most dangerous one being more unusual activity inside the dimensions that change the statuses of the portals; renamed into dungeons.

The stage has been set for another great catastrophe, and it seems that this time, it'll be more worse.

* * *

<-Ping->

[1/1/2042] - [12:00:00 AM]

* * *

I slowly opened up my eyes and was greeted by the starry night sky, which fascinated me at first glance. As I moved my body, I felt the sharp blades of grass beneath my back that irritated me.

Getting up, I dusted off the dirt that clung on the back of my outfit, which was the one I had before I died. Scanning the surroundings, I realized I was at some kind of path in a forest. Litter can be found all over the place, suggesting that people have been here before.

I grabbed a leftover wrapping from the ground and looked at the brand. It was written in Chinese or Japanese maybe. I inspected the product more from the front and back, and I saw a symbol that I knew where it was from.

("")

That's a smiley face, and the Japanese language has that.

Never specified what location I'm getting sent to. I guess my "advisor" just threw me into a random place and just called it a day.

With knowledge that I might be in Japan right now, I thought about it for quite some time. How am I going to fit into their society when I don't know even know their language?