Hide & Seek

Swiftly striding down the pavement of the sidewalk, Jeff grinned widely as he thought of his small interaction with the investigator mere moments ago. His heart was pounding for the first time in a long time, adrenaline pumping alongside his rising excitement. Possibly, it was the first time since he had been a human, but without his human memories to corroborate his guess, he couldn't possibly know for sure since he took away his human recollection. Jeff only knew that, as a human, he had a terrible family and upbringing, having been betrayed by both them and apparently bullies. This led to his demise, or at least that's what he had told Jeff. Now? Now Jeff could not die, as he was a monster; Jeff was perfectly fine with his new life. Not having remorse or guilt made enjoying himself so much easier. With a wicked grin, he thought back to the investigator looking at him discreetly as he was beside her. I wonder what she would've done had she known I am the killer she longs to catch.

In fact, it wasn't difficult at all to track her down. After all, he knew her name from the press conference and was able to assume where she had set up, due to her asking those with potential information to call the police station's hotline. Jeff hadn't been oblivious, either; (Y/n) (L/n) had made it obvious she was about to speak with him, leading to him interrupting her amusedly. He was far from finished messing with her, and he knew exactly what he would do next.

*10:01 PM*

Jesus fucking christ, when is this bitch going home? With an exasperated sigh, Jeff rolled his eyes as he lit up yet another cigarette. Patience was not his strong suit, after all, thus leading to the bitterness being felt over having to wait for the woman to leave the station. It seemed everyone but her had left, although he couldn't know for sure since he couldn't see inside. Speak of the devil...

A wicked smile plastered itself upon Jeff's face as he witnessed the girl finally walk out of the station, car keys in hand, as she rubbed her forehead seemingly in stress and annoyance. Putting out his cigarette, Jeff immediately hid within the shadows from behind a building across the street. Jeff knew that the investigator was observant and detailed, so patience and caution was of the utmost importance. He watched as she paused before looking around, causing him to hide behind the building entirely so they couldn't see each other. Damn, she's better than I thought.

As (Y/n) looked at her surroundings, she felt something was off. Looking across the street, she saw a cigarette on the ground among a pile of others that was freshly put out, due to the embers still lit. Hmm... that's odd. Before she could debate whether or not to walk across, she immediately got a phone call. Jeff listened from behind the building as she answered.

"Yeah? ...okay? Why are you calling me? ...I really doubt we have much to discuss... fine, I'll make time. How about 2 days from now? Okay, see you then. Bye." Hearing her heels walking further away along with a car door opening, Jeff finally stepped out and prepared himself to follow her with his superhuman speed along in the shadows.

*10:30 PM*

So... this is where she lives, huh? Interesting. Hiding within a clump of pine trees, Jeff observed (Y/n) getting out of her car before unlocking her door and going in her house. A short time later, Jeff watched as the lights turned off. Smirking out of delight, Jeff stepped into the moonlight before walking around the house, looking for a way in. Clicking his tongue in annoyance, Jeff rolled his eyes. Of course she locked everything... she's a fucking investigator and I'm an idiot for thinking she wouldn't. Jeff came to the realization that he couldn't get in the house tonight; more or less he technically could, but he comprehended that (Y/n) carried a gun. Although he couldn't die, he would still need time to heal from the wounds caused by that. That, and also the fact that he would be arrested and incarcerated on the spot. With those thoughts in mind, Jeff began his journey back to the mansion, determined to make his next move sooner rather than later.

Author's Note: I'm back from my hiatus! I had tons of time to focus on my studies and to also work on chapters for both my stories. :)