Start & Finish

“I’m always more than thrilled to see you, you know. But, to what do I owe this pleasure?” (Y/n)’s weary eyes practically drilled holes within Jeff’s own as she crossed her arms, finding her leg bouncing full of anxiety at the sacrifices she had to make. It seemed as though she had dug herself quite a hole --- well, she had known this all along upon accepting this serial killer’s terms and conditions in order for him to stop his killing rampage. However, she failed to understand and come to terms with the full extent of exactly what she had done. She failed to consider what would occur if and when she successfully caught him, and she also failed to consider what implications that had for herself and her career. Would he not spill every bit of information they had ever talked about, effectively making her an accomplice? This was very probable given the circumstances. After all, why would he have agreed to this in the first place? (Y/n) could only narrow it down to two options. The first being that Jeff was incredibly cocky about him winning the game overall, and the second being that if he did, in fact, go down, she would go down with him. An eye for an eye seemed to be his unspoken logic if she had to guess, which entirely fit his profile she had created for him. To say it was an oversight would be irresponsible, for (Y/n) likely knew deep down that this was very intentional. Her pride was what got in the way of seeing that within the moment, ultimately, so here she was… sitting with the beast inside her own home, on what was supposed to be her well-earned break.

It didn’t help that Art had given her an ultimatum, which was essentially that she solved this within the next 3 weeks, or she moves on to a different case, rendering this the only unsolved case she ever had in her career. (Y/n) intended to do everything she could to avoid that, thus leading to her current predicament of changing her boundaries, so to speak. So, as she glared at Jeff’s wide, daring eyes and cheeky grin, she sighed as she knew it was time to tell him the truth --- at least, parts of it. “We’re not getting anywhere with this case. Clearly, you’ve stopped killing due to our little agreement, which is obviously what I wanted to begin with. That’s fantastic, though the chief supervisor isn’t thrilled with our lack of progress. It’s time for these days to come to an end.”

Jeff’s eye twitched as he hid behind his now fake smile, pretending he was curious to know more. In reality, it couldn’t be further from the truth; Jeff couldn’t care less the reasons why, for he didn’t want their games to be cut short because of some bullshit bureaucratic processes he had nothing to do with. Jeff didn’t give two fucks about (Y/n)’s career. He only cared about how much fun he had with her when they were together, including toying with her. This was where it started, and this was where it ended. He had never met someone irrevocably repulsed by who he was as a being more than she was; granted, most human beings he came across did not stay alive for long. Hiding his boiling anger, he let out a fake chuckle and decided to prod more. “Oh? But we’ve only gotten started, and I’ve been having so much fun.”

(Y/n) let out a snicker at how pathetic his attempts were to hide his shock. “That makes one of us. So here’s the deal: I only have one game left before I’m finished. So, make your final request and figure out what you want if you win. I’ll tell you mine right now: I’ll turn you in when I win it.”

Jeff’s smile entirely faded down to a gnarly frown, with his scar betraying his sense of emotion. Leaning forward within his own chair and putting his arms on his knees, Jeff looked up menacingly at the investigator before him. How dare she. “You mean if you win it. I hate to break it to you, Investigator, but you have no power here. We do these games until I’m satisfied and that’s that.”

(Y/n)’s neck began to hurt as she rubbed it carelessly, pretending as if she didn’t care what the murderer before her had to say. “Unfortunately, that wasn’t necessarily part of our original agreement. Again, we play one more game and then I put you behind bars when I win it… or if, since you’d rather play semantics.”