So I'll Give Myself a Name Something Stupid and Pretentious

Trans!Evan
tw just incase. Evan is referred to as Evelynn and uses she/her prns for most of this (no, it isn't deadnaming or misgendering. this is a coming out fic.)

---------

     Evelynn never questioned her gender identity before. Maybe everyone just wanted to be a different gender sometimes.. or.. all the time.
     Now that she thinks about it.. no. Most people don't.

     What if she wanted to be a boy.. permanently? What if she wanted to be called 'he'? She even thought of names she could call herself, they might sound stupid, dumb, or whatever, but she likes them.

     What if she wanted to be called Evan?

-
-
-
-

    Evelynn slouched down in the passenger seat of her boyfriend's car, staring out the window. She had been feeling.. different. Yeah, that's a good way to put it. Different. 

    Different as in she felt different. Different as in something felt wrong. Different as in something needed to change. Except she didn't really know what it was. Well, she had an idea, but she wasn't sure. She didn't know if she wanted to be sure. 

    The different feeling wasn't a good different, like, at all. Her mood had changed over the past couple of weeks. More self-deprecating, more upset, more distant, more agitated. She refused to wear anything that exaggerated or showed her chest, resorting in wearing lots of hoodies and oversized T-shirts. Her boyfriend's hoodie was always the go-to when it wasn't being washed or too hot out. Thankfully, autumn was coming, which meant cooler weather, which also meant an excuse to wear the hoodie. 

    She was pretty much positive that her mom and Jared have taken notice in the behavior change, though they hadn't said anything. Yet. 
    Jared glanced over at her, "You alright?"

    "Huh? What?" She sat up and looked over at Jared, having been completely zoned out. "Oh, yeah, I'm fine," she smiled.

    Jared nodded, not seeming fully convinced, but dropped it anyway. He had moved one of his hands and rested it on her thigh. 

    The intention was completely innocent, but it made Evelynn feel like shit. She hated her thighs. She didn't like how.. how would you put it..? Girl-ish? Feminine? They made her body look. She wanted so badly to just remove parts of her body, to replace them with something else. She wanted to change things about her appearance, add things that weren't already there before. 

    She wanted to cut her hair. She wanted it to be short. She didn't want to have boobs or anything. She wanted it to be gone.

    "I'll see you tomorrow," Jared said, pulling her back to reality. She had completely forgotten that Jared was taking her home.

    "Yeah, see you," she leaned over and gave Jared a quick kiss, to which Jared gratefully returned.

    She got out of Jared's car, waving to him once she got to the porch. 

    "Mom, I'm back!" She called out. Heidi's car was in the driveway, which probably meant that she had a night shift.

    She was in the kitchen, putting away groceries that she had just bought. "Hey, sweetie. How was your night at Jared's?" She asked, putting away the milk.