Spider's absence

Word count: 3,026
Spider x Fae (human)
Angst to fluff kinda
Warnings: few cuss words, no parents, miscommunication trope kinda

Fae, a human girl, was left behind on Pandora as a baby. Being raised alongside a boy who was also left behind, she grew very fond of him, having a small crush since she was a kid.

The only issue was that he would rather be spending time with the Na'vi than in the labs they grew up in.

Dr. Max Patel did the honors of naming Fae after her parents decided they didn't want anything to do with her and left the planet.

He named her after the mythical creatures due to her parents being so against myths and hating the Na'vi's existence.

He allowed Fae to grow up with an open-minded mentality to a certain extent.

Still, Fae had nothing against myths and theories. She paid no attention to them. Instead, she focused on how to win over Spider's attention.

She decided to write letters to him.

Every.

Single.

Day.

But she wouldn't give them to him until the time was right.

She started writing the letters once she turned thirteen. Now, at sixteen, she had officially three years worth of letters.

"Happy birthday, Fae." Max says as she walks into his lab area.

"Thanks, Max. Are we still counting Earth years? Because I am pretty sure we should age differently here." Dropping on a chair, she watches as Max works, awaiting an answer.

He shrugs. "It's easier to say you're sixteen now, Fae. You aren't magically older or younger just because you're on a different planet." 

"If you say so," she sighs, slumping in her chair as she continues to watch Max do his thing.

"Have you seen Spider?" she suddenly asks before Max can address her silence.

Max turns around, making eye contact with you for once. He shakes his head slowly before speaking, "Sorry, Fae. He left first thing in the morning."

Her hearts drops, realizing he forgot her birthday. She would usually say happy birthday to him as soon as the day began. He picked up the habit too as they grew up. It was tradition. Why would today be the exception?

"He didn't say when he was coming back?"

Max shakes his head once more.

"That's okay. That's fine. I'll just- I'll see you later." Fae stands up, leaving Max's office.

"Fae..." Max called, but she didn't hear, nor she wanted to.

She speed-walks over to the exit of the lab, grabbing her backpack and an oxygen mask in the process. Placing it securely on her face, she exits the first door, letting it shut behind her.

"What am I doing?" she whispers to herself before she opens the second door.

The air around her changes as she walks outside, taking in her new surroundings.

"Hey, Fae! Happy birthday!" Norm calls out in his avatar form as he watches her enter his tent.

"Thanks, Norm," she says with a smile on her face. "Hey, by any chance, is the forest a secure place to go right now?"

"When is it ever?"

"Fair enough."

She walks out of the tent, following a path to the forest anyway. Her steps are rushed with hope that none of the Sully kids will spot her on the way. If they did, it was likely they would congratulate her before Spider, which would concretely establish the fact that he forgot.