Rotxo's childhood

Word Count: 1,792
Rotxo x Ona (Metkayina)
Fluff kinda
Warnings: misunderstanding, not fully resolved ending

"She is so beautiful." Rotxo sighed lovingly, sitting on the sand close to his grandmother.

He watches as Ona, a young girl his age, walks along the shore, chatting with her friends.

"You should talk to her." Grandmother Eupleayra suggests with a sly smirk.

Rotxo shakes his head rapidly, "No, ma. I could never live down the embarrassment if she ignored me." he nervously explains.

"And why would she ignore you? You are childhood friends!"

"Exactly, childhood. Meaning, not anymore." Rotxo says as he slumps his shoulders in defeat.

"But she even used to be your little girlfriend. You two used to be inseparable." Eupleayra nearly exclaims.

"Ma, not so loud please. Plus, that is embarrassing. I don't even think she remembers that. We were just six at the time."

She scoffed, "You remember it, boy."

Sighing, Rotxo fully laid down on the sand, "That's... different." he whispers.

Eupleayra tightens her lips, looking at Rotxo's defeated self. She thinks, conflicted on whether her next actions would be the correct ones.

"Ona!" She called out to the girl at the shoreline, causing Rotxo to immediately sit up.

"What are you doing?" He quietly asked his grandmother.

"Just saying hello." She quickly says before returning to the task at hand. "Ona!"

The young na'vi turns, searching for whoever was calling her.

"Over here, dear!" Eupleayra exclaims, waving her over frantically.

Rotxo's heart was rushing at an intense pace as Ona smiled at them and excused herself with her friends before coming over.

"Hi granny Eupleayra!" Ona greets as she reaches her spot. "Hello, Rotxo." She says calmly, but with a warm smile.

Rotxo looks up at her, his heart pounding greatly against his chest. It had been so long since he last spoke to her this closely.

"H-hi, Ona." He managed to say before lowering his head quickly in shame.

"It has been too long my dear. How have you been?" Eupleayra gleefully asks Ona.

The young girl nods. "It has been a while, hasn't it? I am very good, thank you for asking. There hasn't been much going on, so it has overall been peaceful." She explains with a smile illuminating her lips.

Before granny can answer, she turns to Rotxo, "Oh! How about you, Rotxo?" Ona asks.

His eyes widen, looking up once more. "I'm great." He shortly replies, struggling to smile as his lips trembled.

"That is good." Ona sighs, turning back to Eupleayra.

"Ona, would you like to have dinner with us later?"

Her face lights up, but Rotxo's face looks mortified. Ona notices, which softens her expression quickly. "I would love to, but only if Rotxo is okay with it."

Rotxo's browline raises, surprised at her request. "Uhm, yes, of course." He shyly answers, not wanting to turn her down.

"Great! I will be by your home later on, then." Ona says as she begins to turn away.

"Wait!" Rotxo exclaims, catching her attention, "Do you remember where we live?"

Ona smiles, making his heart melt. "Of course I do. See you then." And then she walks away.