Lo'ak's best friend

Word Count: 6,262
Lo'ak x Makini (Omatikaya)
Fluff
Warnings: contains movie scenes, mentions of bleeding, cuss words ig

'Run.'

'Just run.'

'Don't look back.'

'Run.'

Those were the thoughts running through Makini's mind as she ran from a battle of Na'vi versus humans in robotic vehicles.

Her feet ached the more she ran, the more she fled.

Pressing the mic she was wearing on her neck, she called for her best friend. "Lo'ak! Lo'ak, where are you?!" She exclaimed desperately, hoping for an answer.

He was meant to pick her up on his ikran right after she played bait for the humans.

"Makini! Lo'ak's down! I will get you!" Neteyam answered, which only worried her more.

"Down?! What do you mean, Neteyam?!" Her breathless voice alarmed him, but he kept his cool.

"Knocked out by flying debris. He is with me, don't worry. I will be with you shortly, stay put!"

———

"Lo'ak! You're okay!" Makini excitedly squeezed him, which earned her a scolding from the Tsahik. "Sorry." She whispered, ducking her head.

"What happened?" Lo'ak groaned, sitting up and taking in his surroundings.

He was no longer scouting the battlefield with Neteyam. Instead, he was getting patched up by his grandmother.

Neteyam scoffed before ruffling his brother's hair. "You got hit by flying debris. You got knocked out, baby bro."

"You were reckless." Makini adds.

"I was trying to get to you in time. You shouldn't be playing bait out there." Lo'ak says as he pokes at Makini's shoulder.

"I was doing what our clan needed me to do." Makini states, standing up and pacing around the room.

She hates it when Lo'ak gets protective over her, especially since she is older. Being Neteyam's age would make others think she was closer to the eldest Sully kid, but it wasn't that way.

Lo'ak and Makini were much closer than others perceived.

Jake walks in and pats Makini's back. "You did a good job out there." He praises, which makes a smug smirk appear on Makini's lips.

"Thank you, sir. Your youngest son thinks otherwise." She calls him out, and Lo'ak rolls his eyes.

Neteyam speaks before Lo'ak can. "He is just worried for you, Makini."

"And rightfully so. Next mission, we won't need bait. We are going to stop a cargo shipment. Blow up a train. You and Lo'ak will be spotters. From afar, you copy?" Jake eyes his sons, waiting for a response.

"Yes, sir." They reply in unison.

"Then what is my job?" Makini asks, waiting for him to lay it on her.

"You stay. Get some rest. You deserve it." He pats her shoulder before leaving a dumbfounded Makini behind.

"That is not fair." Makini sighs, to which Lo'ak grins.

"Serves you right."

"Shut your mouth, Lo'ak, or I will knock you out once more." Makini threatens, making Neteyam laugh.

"You should listen to Makini, you know she will do it." Neteyam adds fuel to the metaphorical fire.

Makini clicks her tongue. "He knows I can't because his Grammy Mo'at is here," She teases the Tsahik, who raises her browline at her.