Neteyam's lover

Word count: 448
Neteyam x Ngaire (Metkayina girl)
Fluff/Angst
Warnings: none

"Look at the water." Neteyam says as he moves Ngaire's (pronounced Ny-ree) chin with his index finger.

Even as she holds the bow and arrow, pointing aimlessly at the water, she cannot help but focus on her boyfriend.

Neteyam chuckles at the unfocused girl. "Ngaire, what's going on? You have not been able to catch a single fish."

She then shoots, hitting one immediately and surprising her boyfriend. "Do not underestimate me, Neteyam." She says with a proud smile as she drops the bow onto the sand and walks into the ocean to grab the fish.

Neteyam follows her into the water, "Hey, it's not my fault you have been eyeing me all day." he teases.

"I can't look at my boyfriend now?" Ngaire asks as the grabs the arrow with the semi-alive fish stuck to it.

Neteyam takes the arrow and shoves it away.

"Hey! That was my catch!" Ngaire protests as her boyfriend places his hands on her waist.

"And you're mine." He says before kissing her cheek lightly, making her place her hands on his chest.

"Smooth, forest boy." She smiles, now wrapping her arms around his neck to pull him closer.

They embrace while the small waves hit their hips.

"I miss you, Neteyam." Ngaire whispers before placing a peck on his shoulder.

Neteyam pulls away slightly to make eye contact with her. "You miss me? But I'm right here." He then pecks her forehead.

"Yes, but have you ever felt this sort of longing for someone? Even when you know they are right by you?"

Neteyam stops to think for a moment as he analyzes her face. "Well, when you put it that way..." He lowers his lips to her ear, now whispering. "I miss you too, Ngaire."

She breaks down when hearing this, letting tears stream down her cheeks as she presses her face into his shoulder.

"Ngaire?"

"I just- I love you so much." She sniffles, trying to hold back her cries.

Neteyam is taken aback for a moment as he hears those sweet words come out of Ngaire's mouth. He moves one of his hands to the back of her head. "I love you too." He says, pulling her body close and caressing her back with his other hand.

Ngaire takes her braid, disconnecting it from the tree. Also, disconnecting herself from Neteyam.

She swims upwards, reaching her ilu and sitting on it's saddle.

Neytiri and Jake approach her with sad smiles on their faces. They pity her.

It's been months since Neteyam's death, and she visits him every day.

Jake places his hand on Ngaire's shoulder. "It's going to be okay."

And she cries, knowing that he is never coming back.