Chapter fifteen

Sirius didn't dream of Regulus that night.

He dreamt of Moony, though as he startled awake, the dream ran away from him, slipping though his fingers no matter how hard he tried to hold on. He was left with a warm feeling, and the surety that it had been a nice dream, even if he couldn't remember it.

He spied James getting ready with more enthusiasm than usual, and suddenly Sirius remembered what day it was, the day he'd been convincing himself that he wasn't dreading.

Visiting Day.

He got up slowly, flexing his knuckles and taking a moment to admire the bruises that had bloomed there after yesterday's fight. Guilt had apparently left his capabilities as he spotted Snape near the door, a stark white bandage over his nose that stood out from the purpling bruise that covered both his swollen cheeks.

Sirius looked at him a bit more just to make sure.

Snape almost fell over tying to put on his shoe.

Nope. No guilt.

Fabulous.

Looking around the room, it was clear that James was the only person who wasn't feeling nervous about Visiting Day. The atmosphere was subdued, and not even Marlene could muster up a smile when he looked at her. He was almost glad at that moment, he knew his parents weren't coming. He was spared the suspense.

Fenrir strode in soon after, standing in the middle of the room with his arms crossed and feet apart like he was an army officer, which in a way, he was.

"Right," he begun, and everyone stilled, "You all know that today is visiting day, if your families miraculously turn up to come hold your hand and tell you it's okay, then just remember that faction comes before blood." He stopped, glancing around the room slowly, "They can't help you, and they sure as hell can't take you back cryin' and snifflin'." He smirked like he was in on a private joke, "Not that you would have any reason to want to leave. Faction before blood understand?"

The room was still silent, but the transfers all nodded, understanding how they're expected to act. Loyal to their faction. Their real faction.

As Sirius walked to the door, Fenrir's hand clamped down on his shoulder and pulled him aside. Like most people, Fenrir was taller than Sirius, and looked down at him with something like pride.

"You did well yesterday Sirius," he said, "I was getting worried that you weren't trying your best in training, but," he laughed, "yesterday proved me wrong." The hand on his shoulder tightened, "Well done."

He turned away, and Sirius shuddered, his skin prickling and his palms sweaty. He knew what he had done yesterday had been bad, but Fenrir's congratulations made him feel dirty. Not guilty, but dirty. Like the blood was still under his nails even though he'd scrubbed them raw the night before. 

After a moment, he walked out of the dormitory, stopping when he saw Peter and James waiting for him in the hallway. They shared an awkward look and started walking in silence, the only sound coming from their shoes on the stone floor and the distant rush of water.

Sirius hadn't spoken to either of the boys since before yesterday's fight, and the unsaid words existed between them like a living thing. Sirius glanced at James and rolled his eyes as the boy quickly looked away, practically buzzing with the need to speak.

"Go on then," Sirius said finally, "Say what you want to say."

Sirius didn't miss the glance shared between James and Peter before James started speaking.

"Look mate, what happened yesterday was pretty intense," he ran a hand through his hair, "And I reckon the slimy git must've said something for you to... well, y'know. You don't have to tell us!" he exclaimed quickly, "We just wanna know if you're okay."