Chapter seventeen

"Would you rather... um," Marlene said, knocking her head lightly on the wall they were leaning on, their legs out in front of them. "Oh! I know! Would you rather take care of a drunk Dauntless or a drunk Amity?"

Sirius rolled his eyes, "Easy. Amity."

"No way," Marlene exclaimed, "Amities would be all over you in five seconds."

"Better than trying to stop a Dauntless from jumping off a building after a couple drinks."

She laughed, and Sirius smiled and for a second he could pretend that whatever they were doing was working. Sitting in the deserted corridor talking about anything other than what had happened. Peter had essentially told him to bugger off after they found James in the dormitory.

Well, bugger off if was said like, 'Sirius I think you should let James and I have a minute yeah? Go enjoy your day off.'

And because Peter had known James since they were children, and because James was sitting on the bed looking as though he might throw up, Sirius left. He left and wandered until he found Marlene, and she hadn't spoken about James or Evan or the blood on the dormitory floorosince they found the corridor.

And he could almost pretend everything was fine.

"Okay fine," Marlene said, "Let me think of another one."

Sirius looked at her while she thought, the black liner smudged a bit around her eyes, her piercing a bit wonky in her nose.

She grinned, "Okay, got it. Would you rather kiss Fenrir or kiss Snape."

Sirius wrinkled his nose, "That's unfair."

"Nope, you have to answer it."

"Snape then," Sirius said, trying not to picture his face anywhere near Snape's.

Marlene laughed, "Gross!"

"Well what would you have chosen?"

She closed her eyes, "Neither," she said simply.

Sirius shook his head, "Cheat."

They were interrupted suddenly by the sound of loud voices and footsteps echoing down the corridor, growing closer and closer. A large group of Dauntless rounded a corner, laughing and shouting, ignoring Marlene and Sirius for the most part, apart from a few curious glances. Sirius recognized a few from capture the flag, but apart from that they were all strangers.

Except of course, for the girl who stopped in front of them, hands on her hips and a smile on her lips.

"Dorcas!" Marlene exclaimed, sitting up straighter.