Chapter 11: Temporary Peace

"MONKEY KING!!"
"Oh hey, Kid!" Wukong was sitting on the front stairs of his house, petting one of the monkeys sitting near him. MK ran over with a bag of noodles in his hand, "*Pant* Your order saved for last." Wukong grabs the bag, checking that MK didn't get the orders mixed up, "Hm, okay, it's all good. Thanks, Kid." "No problem!" MK stretches his arms a bit, "So, what are we doing for training today?" Wukong thought for a moment, "How about we go slow? Yesterday was pretty tiring." MK scoffs, "Please, I got plenty of sleep yesterday! I'm all energized!" Wukong walks off the steps toward MK, "Alright then, don't get drowsy or distracted, okay?" MK nods, "Trust me! I won't!"

Later...
"MK!" MK snaps back to reality, almost falling off the staff he was leaning on. "HUH? WHA- What happened??" Wukong crossed his arms and sighed, "You were zoning out while I was talking." MK nervously sweats, "What!? No! That's my listening face!" "MK." "It's not that I find your classes boring! I just- I-" Wukong places a hand on MK's shoulder, "Kid, you can tell me if something's wrong." MK hesitates for a bit, "Nothing is wrong! I swear!" Wukong glares at MK, filled with both concern and slight pity. Eventually, MK gives in, "*Sigh* Alright, I'll tell you." "Let's go inside first, then we can talk." "Ok."

Once inside, MK sat with Wukong next to him, laying his elbows on his knees for support. "So, what's wrong Kid?" MK exhales, "The thing is, ever since Red Son became my roommate yesterday, I've been feeling off. Red Son is honestly, amazing, I love pretty much everything about them!" MK begins to feel happier, just at the mention of Red Son, soon his smile slowly fades, "I... *groans* This has been racking my brain all day and I don't know what to do!" Wukong tries processing what his successor just explained: "So, you're in love with Red Son?" MK flushes red, "I- No.", Wukong chuckles at the tomato head next to him, "That's all?"

"Monkey King, I'm serious!" Wukong laughs slightly louder, "I know! I know! Sorry, it's just adorable seeing you get defensive." Wukong pats MK's head, who's curled into a ball of embarrassment. Wukong embraces MK like he was a child, "It's okay, Kid." MK pushes Wukong's face away with his hand, "No, it's not! I just met them! Plus, Red Son is a demon and I'm a human! They'll probably just outlive me and find someone else!" Wukong scratches the back of his head, "Yeah... human... " "UGH What do I do!?" Wukong wraps his arm behind MK's shoulders, "Listen MK, you're rushing these thoughts as if you gotta confess tomorrow. Give yourself a bit to process. Eventually, everything should come together." MK nods, "Alright..."

Meanwhile...
"We're back!" Sandy and Red Son return to the store, everyone except MK had already returned. "Hey, Sandy! Hey Red boy!" Mei waves at them, sitting near the kitchen bench. Despite just meeting Red, she wasn't threatened in any way, as long as MK wasn't hurt, she was okay with whoever he hung out with. Red Son awkwardly waves back, "Hello." Mei inspects him further, noticing he was no longer wearing his singed clothing. "Oooh! I like the new look!" Red Son had put on a black sleeveless turtleneck, his shorts were replaced with red leather pants, and an orange and magenta belt and her sandals were replaced by purple and grey sneakers.

"Yeah, I bought them while we were out. He picked these out themself." Red Son flushes, they fiddle with their hair slightly, "Thank you for the compliment." Mei giggles and raises their thumbs. Tang greets the two from in the table front of the kitchen, "So, what else did you two do?" Sandy places down Mo and responds, "Well, I made them some tea, and then I took him with me to work on some mechanical projects and taught them a few stuff as well! And then I made her some food! We talked while we ate, and then went to get new clothes!" Sandy kept talking and talking about the day while Red Son walked to Mei and sat next to her.

"Seems you two had a lot of fun." Mei giggled, "Mhm, it was fun." Red Son stared up at Sandy as they responded, "I'd love to do this more often. Even with MK." Mei processed the final line a bit, for a second she felt they were overthinking it but felt the need to ask, "Hey, Red boy." "Hmm?" "Do you like MK?" Red Son tilted his head a bit, "What do you mean 'like'?" Mei explains further, "As in are you in love with him? Do you feel weird in a positive way around him?" Red Son thinks for a moment, "Is that what the warmness is? Liking?" Mei shrugs, "Probably, I don't blame you for not knowing. Being in love is a wacky ride you may never get off."

Red Son ponders more, this entire day felt amazing but it was also upsetting since she felt so behind with everything. He couldn't even piece together a long conversation without messing up words. Disappointing, that's how they saw it, just disappointing. He couldn't remember words, basic foods, and drinks, she couldn't even figure out what emotions were like. Red Son felt all the positivity of the day drains away. Mei noticed Red Son's despair, "Hey, as I said, it's okay if you don't know stuff. It wasn't your fault that you were imprisoned." Red Son looks back at Mei, feeling a similar warmness, it was different but still nice.

"Thank you again, dragon horse girl." Mei snickers, "What?" "MK told me you're a descendant of a dragon horse creature. I also forgot your name so I figured I would call you that." Mei laughs a bit more, and Red Son sits a bit befuddled, wondering what he said wrong. "Sorry, was that silly?" "Hehe! No! No! I like it! I just didn't expect that. My name is Mei!" Red Son replies with a small, "Oh." And then smiles, "I like that name too." Mei smiles back and pats Red Son's shoulder, "You're free to call me that too."

A brilliant idea clicks in Mei's head, "OOH!! WE SHOULD GIVE EACH OTHER NICKNAMES! ALL THREE OF US!" Red Son flinches slightly at the rise of her voice, "Nicknames?" "A name we can call besides our actual ones!" Red Son grows more confused, "What's the point in that?" "No point! It's just for fun! Want to try." Red Son shrugs, "Sure?" Mei jumps in excitement, "EEE! OK OK! So I'm Dragon Horse Girl or DHG. You will be Red Boy!" Red Son smiles and accepts his fate, "Hmm, what should MK be?" Mei racks her brain but pauses at Red Son's request...

"Noodle boy?" Mei turns slowly, "That is... perfect!" Mei scruffs Red Son's hair, Red Son gets a bit annoyed but lets it slide. "You are a master at nicknames already! Noodle boy it is!" Mei begins to laugh a bit more, turns out their laugh was contagious as Red Son began to join in. Both spent the rest of their time bonding a bit more, turns out there was more to each other than at first glance, but that's always how it is with new people. Red Son started his train of thought again and asked Mei one more question,

"Hey, Mei." "Yeah?" "MK said something about the Demon Bull King. And back at my tomb, some demon mentioned a 'rotten meat dad'. Who is he exactly?" Mei stares confused but freezes a bit at the realization that... "You don't even remember your family?" "My what?

BOOM!

"What the" Pigsy walks out of the kitchen, and a stranger yells from the outside, "IT'S THE DEMON BULL KING!!" Screams roar from the city as blue flames spread from the streets. The gang runs out to investigate further, seeing a towering beast with glowing blue eyes staring them down. Red Son feels herself shake, the shrieks rang in his ears like a banshee's cry, and the flames kept bringing them back to their prison. Is this the so-called 'Demon Bull King'? Is this the rotten meat he heard about? Is...

"Is that... my family?"

AUTHOR'S NOTE:
MWAHAHAHA!! SOAK THE FLUFF IN WHILE YOU CAN!! ANGST!! Also debating on making a separate story for each season. I want to do it since I've longed to extend this version of Red, but I'm still thinking about it. Eh might do it after I finish this story. Anywho, see you in the next chapter. >:)