Chapter 5: Unexpected

Kion and Rani continued walking.

"There's the border," Kion said. Rani's face lit up and she ran to it. Kion stayed where he was. Rani crossed the border. She looked back.

Rani turned around and faced him, "Hey aren't you coming?" "No I'm an outlander remember. I'm not welcome at the Tree Of Life," Kion explained. "Oh," Rani looked down.

"But hey don't worry. If you ever need to be saved again, I'm here," Kion winked at her and walked away.

For some reason, Rani found herself blushing. She watched him walk away, and felt pain in her chest. She ignored it and walked to the tree.

Sahasi and Ananda smothered Rani, "Rani what happened!" Sahasi shouted. "Are you ok?" Ananda checked her daughter. "Yes I'm fine," Rani replied.

"Where were you!" Sahasi asked. Rani knew she couldn't lie to her parents, "I tripped and fell into the outlands."

"You what!" Sahasi shouted. "I didn't mean to, it was an accident," Rani replied. "Are you ok?" Ananda asked.

"Yeah, a lion named Kion helped me out," Rani explained. "An OUTLANDER helped you out! Not to mention, A MALE!" Sahasi growled.

"No No, he just helped me out. He didn't try anything," Rani reassured her dad. "I don't care! You could have died! You aren't allowed to go near the border, or this Kion again!" Sahasi roared.

"No dad!" Rani argued. Sahasi stormed off. Ananda watched her mate leave. She turned to Rani.

"Rani, I'd like to meet this Kion. If he helped you, but he's living in the outlands, he could be in danger. Outlanders don't like other outlanders that help eachother," Ananda explained.

"But you heard dad. I can't go to the border. Or near Kion," Rani sighed. Ananda chuckled, "Your dad is just mad you were with a male. He's being overprotective."

"But, why do you want to meet him?" Rani asked. "If he isn't like the other outlanders, he should be living at the Tree Of Life. Not with murderers," Ananda explained.

"Oh ok, let's go!" Rani ran to the outlands, her mother following her.

They crossed the border. Ananda was weary of her surroundings. Rani was fine.

"Need help again?" A voice asked. Rani smiled, "Kion?"

Kion stepped into the light and smirked. There was blood on his muzzle. Ananda backed up.

"Hey it's fine. I just ate a gazelle," Kion chuckled. He licked his muzzle clean. "Oh ok," Ananda felt better.

Rani ran up and hugged Kion. Kion was shocked. Ananda chuckled.

"Thanks for helping me. I never thanked you before," Rani said breaking the hug.

"Anytime," Kion cracked a smile. "Kion," Ananda stepped forward, "I am Rani's mother. She told me what happened. You aren't like other outlanders. Would you like to live at the tree?"

"Wow your her mom? You look to young," Kion said. "Oh uh thanks," Ananda smiled. "But no, I can't live at the Tree because well uh-" Kion cut himself off. A zebra walked by them.

Kion's pupils shrunk. He extended his claws. Kion roared and charged at the zebra.

Rani and Ananda were shocked. "H-He didn't act like that when he was helping me," Rani stampered.

Kion ripped open the zebra, and chowed it down. He turned around and slowly approached Ananda and Rani.

 He turned around and slowly approached Ananda and Rani

"K-Kion...what are you doing!" Rani shouted; backing up. Kion licked his muzzle, "You look like a snack..."