Chapter 1: Say Hi Idiot

Next Day: A Tuesday in September

I get shaken to wake up. I slowly open my eyes and see the sun light going into my room. I lay on my back and see my mom walking out and closing the door. I stand, stretch, and walk to the bathroom.

I get ready for school. I go get my rock band shirt from the drawer. I remember what happened yesterday. I wonder if the girl is there. I put my shirt and slowly look out the window. The window is close but the curtains are open. I see a figure pacing back and forth. The figure then leaves the room.

I go downstairs after I finish getting ready. I push my dark brown hair back, but it just comes back. I don't have very long hair, but I will soon if I don't go to the barber shop in a couple of weeks.

I see my mom putting her lunch in her brown leather bag. She sees me and lightly smiles. She says hi.

I smile back as a hello.

She signals me, "Do you have money?"

I nod.

She says okay and kisses my cheek before leaving. On Tuesdays my mom works only four hours in the morning. It is like a day off for her.

I get my things set and walk out. I begin to walk to school like I always had since middle school. I suddenly see a figure from the corner of my left eye. I stop and look over my shoulder. It's the new girl. Oh man, should I move or stay? She's probably going to ask why I was looking out the window.

I place a foot forward but it is too late. I see her mouth go "Hey" or "hi". She is beside me and places her hand on my arm to stop me from leaving. She has eyeliner on her eyelids that make her look like Batman did her makeup. Man, she's a total goth chick.

"What," she asks.

I point to myself and then my ear. "Can't-"

"Look, whatever, you are weird," I think that's she said before walking out on me.

I'm weird? I'm just deaf. She is the weirdo with her Batman make up and goth clothes. I'm a normal person compared to her.

I shake it off and resume my path. I see the new girl yards away in front of me. She has black tights with a white sweater and black boots. Her hair is like yesterday.

I mind my own business and look around me. I wonder if it's noisy or if it is peaceful like it looks. There are a few cars and people passing by.

Soon, unfortunately, I stop at the corner at the green light. The new girl is next to me with her hands on her hips. She is tapping her foot impatiently. She starts to talk but since she isn't looking at me, I can't make up the words.

I am about to poke her arm to explain when the red light appears. She steps forward and jogs towards the other side. I follow behind. She turns to me and she looks pissed off. She slaps my arm with her bag.

What the hell?

"Stop ignoring me!" She yells, I can tell from her expression. I point to my ear and say no.

"No what idiot?" she asks.

I sigh, "I cannot hear you." I try my best to talk and pronounce everything right.

She chuckles and flips me off. She begins to walk away.

She didn't believe me? Oh gosh, this girl is really not kind or patient.

I look up to the sky. "Man, if you really do exist, can you make this day suck less? Please, I'm going to church this Sunday," I think. "Amen."

...