Chapter 4: Her View

A Monday in September

I'm walking to school as usual except Jordan is just two feet behind me. She is texting someone which has her mind entertained.
I stop at the usual stop light and wait for it to become green. Jordan stands next to me and puts her phone away.
She taps my arm and she signs, "Are you okay?"
I chuckle and reply, "You know sign language? I'm okay."
She pouts and takes out a piece of paper from her boot. "Sorry, I just Googled some words. I'm not an expert yet."
I lightly smile at her. She is trying to be a friend now. I feel kind of bad that I've been avoiding her. I just feel weird about the kiss.
Jordan takes my hand and we cross the street. She doesn't let me go as we continue walking towards the school.
Her hand is a bit longer than mine but her fingers are skinny and soft. Her grip tightens as two girls walk towards us at the school's entrance.
They smirk at Jordan and cross their arms against their chest. One of them is blonde with straight hair. She has a skinny figure and long legs.
The other one has pretty brown curly hair up to her shoulders. She has freckles on her nose and has a curvy figure. Both are pretty in their own way.
The start talking but to Jordan since they never look at me. I turn to Jordan and she is upset. I think she is yelling at them. I look at the girls and they are laughing and pointing at me. What the hell?
Jordan let's go of my hand and gets into their face. Oh darn, what's going on? Should I pull her away? Then my phone vibrates; I'm going to be late to class! I quickly get Jordan and run towards school. I can feel her trying to break free, but I won't risk her fighting over something probably stupid.
I get to class and release her. She turns me around and slaps me. What the hell?!
She is angry and flips me off and walks away. Mr. Jeff suddenly appears and points to the class.
"Get. In," he says slowly. I nod and walk to my desk. What just happened? I was trying to help her and she just hit me for no reason. Why isn't she here?
Mr. Jeff begins to pass out the assignment. As he gets to me, he hands me a note. "Where is Jordan?"
I shrug. He nods, "okay."
The class continues and soon it ends. I'm walking to my second class and see the girl with freckles leaning against my locker.
I slowly walk to her. What does she want? I stand in front of her. She smells like one of the perfumes that's sold at the mall stands.
She smiles, "Hi."
I wave hi.
She fixes my button down shirt by pulling it down. Her fingers stay on the buttons and she locks eyes with me. She doesn't get me as nervous as Jordan. Her stare is sweet and calming. She starts to talk but she is talking too quick. I shake my head and point to my ear. She gives me back my space and frowns.
"Can not hear," I try to do my best to say the words correctly.
She is confused and frowns. She gets out her phone and types something out. She hands it over to me.
"You really can't hear?" She asks.
I type a reply. "Yeah, I'm deaf." I give the phone to her and she pouts. "Sorry, I'll see you later" she types. I nod and give her the phone. She walks away and I head to my next class. Did she suddenly not like me because I can't hear? Or was she just talking to me? Was that flirting?
Oh man, I am a loser with girls. I only had one girlfriend before and that was in 8th grade. Her name was Lizzy and we only kissed twice. Before the school year ended, she broke up with me.
Anyways, I get to class and sit. I might ask Hugo for advice tomorrow.
...
After school
...
I'm walking to my apartment. Jordan didn't bother me at lunch today nor did she walked with me. Is she still angry at me? I don't get her, why is she even angry? I didn't do anything.
I open the door and go in. I remember my mom is sleeping so I try not to make a sound which of course is hard to know.
I check up on her and she is fastly asleep. She works hard. I go to my room and play a video game. I turn to the window but don't see Jordan. I shake my head, I shouldn't care right now if she is angry with me. I continue to play until my mom opens the door. I turn off the console and ask if I should make dinner.
She signs, "No. I ordered from the taco place around the block. How was school?"
"Fine, as always," I reply.
"Hey, Vince called me and asked if you seen Jordan after school,"
"No."
Mom says okay and closes the door. So, Jordan hasn't gone home?
I stand and walk towards the window. I open it and try to look out for her.
Suddenly, my phone vibrates in my pocket. I take it out and see an unknown number.
"MEET ME AT THE PARK NEAR THE APARTMENTS. BTW IT'S JORDAN."
How did she get my number?
What the hell? I reply back: "NO. COME BACK TO THE APARTMENT. WE CAN TALK HERE."
Seconds pass by and she replies. "FINE."
Soon, while having dinner with my mom, I get a text from Jordan. She says she will wait for me at her window.
Mom takes my phone away and puts it on her side. She doesn't like any electronics during dinner time. She looks down at the phone's screen and smiles. She puts it back on the table. "She did text you after all," she signs.
"You gave her my number?"
She nods.
I put my taco down and sigh. "Why?"
"Because she likes you."