Chapter 5: New

JACOB POV

A Thursday in September

"Did she get upset again?" Hugo signs.
"Yeah, I haven't seen her since yesterday," I reply.
Stupid Jordan, why is she so complicated?
"Do your work," Ms. Brown signs.
Hugo and I got paired up to do an assignment for our special class.
"My girl saw her with a teacher in the morning. She was crying," Hugo replies.
What? She has emotion other than anger?
"Why?" I ask.
Hugo shrugs and resumes doing the assignment. I do the same and continue my day.
...
I see Hailey smiling at me as I walk out of school. I stop in front of her.
She points to my jean pocket. I get my phone out and there's a text message from her.
(YOU WANT TO HANG OUT?)

Oh man, be cool, Hugo said to be cool. I just need to be calm and don't over think it. I nod.
She smiles and types something. I get the text. (GOOD. LET'S GO IN MY CAR. TEXT ME YOUR ADDRESS.)
I do and we go to her car. I feel kind of stupid because I don't have a car or really know how to drive. We get in and she begins to drive to my place. I don't get why Jordan doesn't like Hailey. She is nice, cute, and funny. I should ask Hailey what connection she has with Jordan.
We soon arrive to the apartment. I open the door and let her go in. I see her observing her surrounding.
I put my backpack on the couch and text her. (EVERYTHING OK?)
She gets the text and nods at me. I point to my room and she walks towards it. We go in and sit on the edge of the bed. Hailey fixes her black skirt and plays with her rings. I look up at her face and curly hair. Is it weird I want to brush it?
She looks at me. She gives me a faint smile and touches my cheek. Should I kiss her? She begins to lean towards me, her eyes slowly closing, and her lips part a bit. This is it, I will kiss her. I touch her cheek and she is so soft. I lean it quickly and kiss her. Her lips taste like cherry and they are a good size. She pulls away, "Wow."
I smile, "Yeah."
She suddenly frowns and stands. Did I say it stupidly? I stand and poke her arm. She gives me her phone. She wrote: (SORRY NEED TO GO.)
I give her phone back and nod. She takes it and walks away, not letting me walk her to the door. Darn, what happened? I walk towards my window and open it, putting the curtain to the side. I'm looking down at Mr. Miller walking his Golden Retriever to the parking lot. Hugo said not to get paranoid if a girl walks away for no reason; he said that his girlfriend does that when she needs time alone. Hopefully he's right. Something catches my eye and I look towards Jordan's window. The window is close but one of the curtains is to the side, so I can see some of the room.
It is her dad. He walks back to the door and leaves. So, she isn't home. I see Vincent walking towards my building. Is he coming to my place?
I step back and go to the apartment door. I look through the peephole and see Vincent. I was right; I open the door.
He gives me a piece of paper. "HAVE YOU SEEN JORDAN?"
I look at him and say no. He frowns and rubs his eyes in frustration. He says something but his hand is covering his mouth. He looks at me, "Where is your mom?" He asks slowly.
"Work," I answer.
And surprise, I see her walking towards us. She must have asked Vincent what's going on because she looks at me and signs, "Are you sure you haven't seen Jordan?"
"No, since like two days ago we haven't talked," I reply.
Mom turns her attention to Vincent. I get my phone out and text Jordan.
(WHERE ARE YOU? YOUR DAD IS WORRIED.)
We step to the living room. Vincent and my mom sit while I'm leaning against the wall. My phone vibrates: (SERIOUSLY? UGH! I'M GOING.)
I show my mom the text and she sighs. She shows it to Vincent and he rolls his eyes. He says something about Jordan being bad.
Minutes later, she arrives. I don't have to hear to know Vincent is telling Jordan she got him worried and she's grounded.
Vincent begins to drag her out of the apartment. Clearly, Jordan is yelling at him to stop and is resisting.
My mom tries to calm her down, but she goes even more crazy.
Jordan pushes my mom and that makes me upset. I put my arms around her from behind and yell at her to stop.
I see Vincent disappear. Jordan keeps on kicking and trying to break free. Man, she is small, but she is putting up a fight. What's with her? Why is she acting like if we are going to hurt her?
My mom gets in front of her and cups her face. She is trying to calm her. Then Vincent comes with a syringe. He comes next to me and stabs it on Jordan's arm. I see her yell and within seconds she is calm down. I feel her body relaxing in mine and her legs are slowly bending. I quickly carry her before I drop her. Vincent signals me to follow him. We walk to their apartment and I settle Jordan into her bed. She isn't sleeping but she is woozy.
Jordan looks at me and keeps me from standing. She pulls me towards her. I'm laying next to her on my arm.
Her lips begin to move but I can't understand her. Vincent gets my other arm and helps me get up, but Jordan pulls me back. Her lips meet mine again. Vincent manages to pull me to my feet.
"Sorry son," he says. My mom goes to Jordan's side and checks her pulse. She is asleep. Mom walks towards us. She talks and signs at the same time. "She's fine. Let her rest."
We walk back to our apartment with Vincent. We say our goodbyes. My mom holds my hand as we sit on the couch. She sighs and lightly smiles. "Are you okay?"
I nod. "What happened to Jordan? Is she sick?"
Mom nods, "She has a disorder."
"What disorder?"
Mom reaches for her purse on the other couch and takes out a pen and paper. She does this when she she has no idea how to sign the words. She writes, "SHE HAS
EMOTIONAL BEHAVIOR DISORDER. SHE CAN'T CONTROL HER ANXIETY AND SHE CANT EXPRESS HER ANGER CORRECTLY."
Whoa. This explains her attitude since the beginning. But why does she need drugs?
"But what did Vincent say to her to tick her off?" I sign.
My mom get confused. "Get her angry?"
I nod.
She takes the paper back and writes. "HE TOLD HER TO STOP SKIPPING SCHOOL. HE CAN'T BE WORRYING ALL THE TIME WHERE SHE IS. HE GROUNDED HER COMPLETELY."
I shake my head. It still isn't something to get so upset about. But, then again, I had classes with special kids before, they can't seem to control their emotions.
Mom pats my back. "She will be okay," she smiles.
I stand, "I'm going to my room."
She nods. I go to my room and lay on bed. So, she isn't normal after all.
I feel kind of bad for her. Is that why Hailey's friend was making fun of? She can't have friends because, like me, they will get slapped and flipped off when she gets angry.
My phone vibrates and it is Hailey.

(HEY. I'M SORRY FOR WALKING OUT ON YOU. I JUST DIDN'T PLAN TO KISS YOU. LOOK, I CAN'T BE YOUR GIRLFRIEND. I'M NOT GOING TO LIE, IT'S BECAUSE YOU HAVE A DISABILITY. I'M STUPID ABOUT HOW YOUR DISABILITY WORKS AND SUCH AND I THINK I SHOULD DO MY RESEARCH AND TRY TO UNDERSTAND YOU BETTER. FOR NOW, LET'S BE FRIENDS. YOU ARE NICE AND SMART, BUT I WILL BE LYING TO YOU IF I WANT SOMETHING ELSE.)
I throw the phone to the side. I guess I'm just like Jordan. I can't have a relationship with a "normal" girl. I don't have a normal life.
I pull my hair. Great, I'm getting depressed now. It's nothing new.