.Chapter 16: The End

Christmas

(MERRY XMAS JACOB) FROM JORDAN
I take off the wrapping paper from my last gift under the tree. It is a box. I open it and it is a new game console! What the hell?!
I yell and jump around. I quickly run to room and unlock my window. The winter breeze and some snow invade my room but I don't care. I see Jordan smiling at me.
I sign, "Thank you! I love it!"
She replies, "Welcome buddy. I love my present too."
I blush, "Really?" I was having trouble finding out what to give her.
She nods. "I'll see you in a bit." She closes the curtains of her window.
I close mine and get my presents. I check out everything.
Until I get to a white envelope. It is from Russell. I open it and there's a Santa Claus card.
I read it: (MERRY CHRISTMAS JACOB. I HOPE YOU ARE HAVING FUN. I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TO GIVE YOU SO I JUST DID THE WHOLE GIFT CARD THING. I'LL BE THERE FOR NEW YEARS AND HOPING YOU WILL CELEBRATE IT WITH ME. THANKS FOR LETTING ME INTO YOUR LIFE BIT BY BIT. I DON'T DESERVE IT BUT I AM VERY GRATEFUL. LOVE YOU, RUSSELL)
A faint smile comes unto my lips. I am sort of excited to meet up with him in the New Year celebration.
These past months he has been very cool and honest with me.
A sudden touch on my arm makes me jump. It is my mom. She barely came back from work.
"Merry Christmas," she signs and lightly smiles.
I sign back.
"Did you like all your presents?"
I nod. "Thank you. I like my new shoes."
She kisses my cheek. She is doing better now. We have been closer now. At first, she denied everything and wanted my dad as far away as possible. We fought and yelled at each other which we never did.
I got into a mild depression but Jordan and the others really helped me. Everyone was supporting me, which felt super nice.
"Let me rest for a bit and we go eat," my mom signs. I nod and she walks out of my room.
I put the things in its place. I get texts from Hugo and the rest saying happy Christmas. I reply to them.
Suddenly, Jordan's arms are around me. I turn back and she is chuckling.
"Hey dummy, I let myself in. Is your mom sleeping?" She signs.
I nod. "Yeah. But we will go eat later."
"Good," Jordan smiles. She sits on my bed and I sit next to her. She has a brown winter hat with her long hair loose. She has a black leather jacket with jeans and boots.
She looks normal now.
"Did you see your mom?" I ask.
She nods. "Yes. She asked me if I wanted to live with her."
"And?"
Jordan looks down. "I said yes."
Whoa. Really?
"Doris really wants to repair our relationship," Jordan signs. Doris is her mother. She told me about how her mom just disappeared one night and never came home. Vincent was heart broken and Jordan as well. But after a few years, she came back and wanted Jordan for herself. Turns out, Doris has bi-polar disorder which explained her odd random behavior.
Now, Jordan and her mom are at a way better place.
"You okay?" Jordan asks me.
I nod. "When are you leaving?"
"After the school year ends,"
I sigh. "Okay, we will miss you."
Jordan lays her head on my lap. I look out the window.
....
After dinner with my mom, we head back home. We watch some old Christmas specials on tv then it is finally 12 am. My mom says goodnight and I go to my room.  Jordan is standing in the middle of the room.
"What happened?" I sign.
She shakes her head. "Just wanted to spend the night."
She hasn't done that since last time I asked her to stay. It was when I was at my lowest.
"Sure," I nod.
She takes off her black coat and she isn't wearing much. She has a long sleeve shirt with black shorts and white long socks. She takes off her boots and slides in between the bed sheets.
I take off my shoes and shirt and lay next to her. I ask her if anything is wrong and she says no.
We are laying on our arm looking at each other. I can't help but to notice her breasts pushed together.
She smirks, "You love my breasts right?"
I roll my eyes and lay on my back. "You are weird," I try to say out loud. "Why?"
I turn my head to the side and look at her.
She signs, "what do you mean?"
"Since the first day I saw you through the window, you always been teasing me about sex and stuff. Why?"
She frowns. "I just like messing with you. You are too nice Jacob."
"Too nice?"
"Pure. You never try to be so out there with girls. You respect girls and compliment us. You did peek but you never tried to do more. I realize you can be a real friend and not look at me as a piece of meat or something like that."
"I just try to be nice. I am a guy who loves girls but I know I won't gain anything if I force myself on to them or just see them as sex objects."
"But you think I'm pretty?"
I nod. "But you're my best friend."
She smiles. "Soon you will have a girl to love and kiss her and see her brea-"
I shut her up with a light pat on her head. "Shut up!" I yell. She giggles. Jordan always has to mess things up.
"night," she smiles and turns around.
...
It is New Years Eve. Russell, Jordan, and I are playing in the snow. Surprisingly, it snowed last night.
I throw Russell a ball and he falls down. Jordan quickly gets on top and squishes him. I jump on them too.
Russell pushes us to the side and we laugh. We just lay for a while.
We walk to a barely and drunk coco with sweet bread.
"I'm glad you came Jacob," Russell signs.
"Thanks for inviting Jordan,"
He smiles at her. "She is fun."
"Thank you," Jordan signs back.
We talk about school and his job. Soon, I'm seating with my parents on the couch watching the New York City glass ball drop for the new year. I wish I can hear the fireworks and cheers on the tv. Russell explains them to me by feeling. He taps my leg and says pop after each tap. "This is how the vibration of a firework feels like."
"Happy New Year sweetie," Mom signs. We hug.
Turns out, this year was crazy but fun. Alot changed, but I'm glad it did. It isn't perfect. However, I know it can get worse. I know it will be okay.
My phone vibrates as I walk into my room.
(HAPPY NEW YEAR JACOB. I'M GLAD I MET YOU. I LIKE YOU ALOT.)- JORDAN
I smile. (LIKEWISE. I NEVER THOUGHT I WILL HAVE A FRIEND LIKE YOU. THIS WAS SUCH AN UNEXPECTED FRIENDSHIP, IT IS WEIRD AND RANDOM AND SOMETIMES YOU MAKE ME FEEL NERVOUS AND EXCITED AT THE SAME TIME. PEOPLE MIGHT SAY WE SHOULD DATE, BUT I'M HAPPY LIKE HOW WE ARE. I JUST KNOW I NEED YOU BY MY SIDE.)
(I WILL BE THERE FOR YOU LIKE YOU ARE FOR ME RIGHT NOW. I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD HAVE A DEAF KID BE A FRIEND OF MINE. I ALWAYS THOUGHT I COULDN'T HAVE ANYONE BECAUSE OF MY DISORDER. BUT YOU THOUGHT ME THAT HAVING A DISABILITY DOESN'T LIMIT YOU TO LOVE AND CARE. THANK YOU. ♡♡ )
(NO PROBLEM BUDDY. NIGHT)