Chapter 14

JACOB POV

I head to the city's library and ask for the city files section. An old man directs me and helps me find newspaper articles with my name and my dad's.
The old man leaves and I search the database. There aren't many results but I read them all.
I need to know what really happened. If my attack was so brutal, surely a reporter wrote about it.
I see an article but in Austin Texas with only his name. I click on it. I never knew I lived in Austin.
It is a small story but it says everything.
The headline is "Domestic Attack leaves child near death" by a Wallis man.
(A BRUTAL ATTACK ON A 2 YEAR OLD BOY HAPPENED LAST NIGHT. THE ATTACKER WAS HIS FATHER, 20 YEAR OLD RUSSELL  WELCH. POLICE SUSPECT HE WAS UNDER THE CONTROL OF ALCOHOL AND DRUGS WHEN THE ATTACK HAPPEN OVER THE BOY'S CRIES. THE BOY IS IN CRITICAL BUT STABLE CONDITION. POLICE ARE STILL INVESTIGATING THE INCIDENT, THOUGH, CHARGES OF ASSAULT, CHILD NEGLECT AND ABUSE ARE FILED AGAISNT WELCH WHILE OTHER CHARGES ARE PENDING. THE MOTHER SAID TO POLICE SHE DIDN'T KNOW WELCH WAS CAPABLE OF SUCH CRUELTY.)
So it did happen just like my mom said. This is my dad. He was young when he went to jail. It has been 16 years already.
I feel a hand on my shoulder and I quickly stand and turn. It's Jordan.
"Hey," she says.
I look down. Does she know? Did she read the article too?
She touches my cheek. "Let's go." Jordan takes my hand and we walk back to the apartments.
She doesn't ask me anything.
There is a police car right in front of the building. We get into the complex  and to my apartment. I open the door and my mom rushes to me. She hugs me tight.
I see a tall police man next to Vincent. I step back and say sorry to the police man.
"Where were you?" My mom signs quickly.
"Library," I reply.
A police woman comes out of the hall and into the living room. She looks familiar.
She smiles at me and signs hello. Oh wait, she's the same one who helped me when smoke began to invade the apartment.
She signs, "Well, I guess Jordan was right. You are okay. But don't do that again Jacob, your mother was really worried."
I sigh. I turn to my mom and say sorry.
She shakes her head. "I am too."
But I need to know why she didn't tell me.
Vincent gets Jordan and they leave. The police tells something to my mom and they go as well.
It is already late. I'm tired.
My mom takes my hand and walks me to my bedroom.
"Rest. We talk tomorrow," she signs.
I nod.
I get in my bed and close my eyes.
...

JORDAN POV

I look for Jacob dad's name on the phone book. I get the feeling he lived here all along. He might have been in the local jail all this time. Though, everything took place in Austin. Maybe Russell got out earlier as planned and headed here.
It could explain why Ms. Welch was so concern for Jacob finding out who his father really went to.
I spot a man by that name and his phone plus address. I think I go visit him tonight.
..
I sneak out of the apartment and run into my car. I drive as the GPS helps me find Russell's house.
I get to it. It is a small wooden house with a bad paint job.
I knock on the door once. Man, what if he's crazy? How did I manage to come this far?
Well, whatever, I'm here.
Shut up Jordan. Shush.
The door opens, "Who is it?" A low voice asks.
"Hi, I'm Jordan. Do you have a son name Jacob?" The door quickly opens wider. A tall muscled man is standing. He looks less crazy than last time I saw him. Well, I really didn't see him since it was fast.
"Wait, you're that girl in his apartment," he says.
I nod. "We need to talk."
"Look, I swear, I didn't break in or-"
I shush him and get inside. It is chilly.
"Is Jacob okay?"
I nod and get cozy in his couch. "Well, he read an article about what happened," I say. He sits on the wooden table in the middle of the living room.
The fireplace is only lighting the room. I take a good look at him.
He is just like Jacob except muscular and a bit better looking. His eyes a lighter and his hair is darker.
"Wait, kid, what are you doing here? You aren't afraid of me?"
"Please, I already faced someone like you a dozen times. I'm more angry than scared. Why did you hit your son to the point where you almost killed him?!" I stand and slap him. "Why didn't you call for help? You ran away like a fucking coward."
He looks up at me. "I was fucking drunk!" He stands. "And young. I didn't know how to act like a fucking adult. I was forced to grow up. I lost my job and I had a nagging wife who turned out to be the worst mistake I ever done. But-" he looks away towards the wall, "but I never wanted to do hurt Jacob. He was the only thing that I actually cared about."
"You bastard, how can you say you care for someone and beat them up? He is deaf because of you!" I push him.
"And I paid for that."
I shake my head. "Why did you do it?"
He walks towards the kitchen. I hear a bottle open. He comes back and he drinks a soda pop.
"I just lost it. Ruby was screaming at me about rent and bills. She woke up Jacob and he started to cry. I told her to stop bothering me and that I will found a way out of the mess. But she just kept insulting me and said she hated me. She left the house. I tried to calm Jacob down but he just didn't shut up. I was drunk but I know that it wasn't a major reason to hit my son. It just," he stops.
I walk towards him and slap the bottle away. "Just what?"
"I barely clean the carpet!"
I slap him again. "Tell me! Just what?"
"Kid, I swear-"
"I'm Jordan and what? You are going to beat me up too?"
"No. I'm going to call vicent and tell him you sneaked out,"
I step back. "How do you know my dad?"
"He gave me his name and info. He wants to help Ruby out and feed Jacob lies so he won't talk to me,"
"No. My dad is a honest man."
"Sure,"
"Don't call him."
"Well stop hitting me and making a mess," Russell says.
"You can't say you loved Jacob. You can't."
"I do love him. I always had. But that night, I just lost it. I ran to the tallest building I could find and I wanted to kill myself."
"So why didn't you?"
"A former cop saw me from his window and stop me, he said that maybe Jacob will forgive me and such. So I turned myself in but I knew the cop stopped me so I can pay for what I did."
Russell sits on the couch. "I am."
"Why now? Why look for him?"
I am starting to see everything now. Russell was just like I am. It was something uncontrollable. I have stabbed my dad with a fork twice because I didn't get my way. I can blame my disorder for that but sometimes I just snap.
"I got out on parole 2 years ago. I know Jacob is almost 18 so I thought that I can finally see him without getting into trouble. I've been living here for a year now."
I feel sorry for him. I'm still angry for what he did but I can sort of relate.
He turns to me. "Jordan, I know I'm not a good guy, but please let Jacob know my side of the story. If I can't see him, then tell him everything I said."
"I don't want him to hurt more."
"It won't. Just tell him."
This is crazy but he's my friend. Jacob really does need closure.
I nod.