thirty

I woke up by loud screaming. I groaned, trying to snuggle into Luke, but noticed that he wasn't in his bed anymore. I quickly walked over to Luke's dresser and found a t-shirt and some sweatpants I could borrow because I didn't have any other clothes except the dress and I wasn't going to wear the dress. The screaming got louder and it wasn't hard to know it was Luke and his mother.

I wasn't sure if I should walk out there or wait in Luke's room, but when I heard how angry Luke sounded, I decided to go out there and try to calm him down. I quickly opened the door to his bedroom, walking over to the kitchen where Luke was standing with a deep scowl on his face. "I can't fucking believe you!" he yelled, pointing to her. His mother stood with her arms crossed, wearing her usual work clothes which was some black pants, white shirt,  high heels and a blazer.

"Luke Robert Hemmings. This is not how you talk to your mother." she snapped. Luke rolled his eyes. "As far as I see, you're not even trying to be my mother anymore!" he spat. I cringed at his words and rushed over to him, grabbing his hand. He jumped at my contact because he hadn't noticed me and then his eyes softened. His mother was about to say something, but Luke interrupted her.

"You know what? You're never thinking about me and how I feel about things, you just assume it's alright, but I promise you if he moves in here, I will literally never come home except to get sleep. I do not want to have him living with us again. He doesn't even have a job and you work all the time which means I need to hang out with him and I am sure as hell not going to hang out with him!" Luke warned, his eyes serious. Liz sighed loudly. "He is your father, Luke.". Luke scoffed. "Well fuck that father shit. He hasn't even been there for me, all he did was to ruin our family. He fucking hit us.. hit you! He was drunk all the time and I don't want that to happen again." Luke explained slowly to his mother.

I didn't want to pipe in, because this was not my business, but I knew I should stand with Luke because he had calmed himself down and wasn't screaming anymore. "He's gotten better, Luke!" his mother groaned. Luke raised his eyebrow. "With what?" he asked. "The hitting, he's not doing that anymore." she mumbled. Luke chuckled as he rolled his eyes. "Not with the drinking though?" Luke asked. I squeezed Luke's hand, making him look down at me for a second before he looked at his mum again. "N-not yet, but he will." she stuttered. "Mum, I have trouble believing that. He won't get better mum, that's the thing." Luke sighed.

Liz gave Luke a hurt look like it was Luke who crushed her hope. "You do not now that. He promised me!" she yelled, shaking her head. "Mum, how many promises has he given us and then broken them?" Luke asked, shaking his head sadly. "He's going to live here with us!" she yelled at Luke.

Luke narrowed his eyes at his mum. "Mum, think about all the things he has done to us! I know you still love him and that you do not want to give up on him, but he won't change mum! He has proven that too many t-" Luke explained, but his mother interrupted him. "Enough Luke Robert!" she yelled, glaring at him. Luke was about to say something, but she just ignored him. "He is moving in and you have to live with it.".

Luke glared at her before he shook his head and stormed out of the kitchen, leaving me alone with Liz. "He's so difficult." Liz sighed. I bit down on my lip. "He has gotten better, you know? He's not isolating his feelings inside of him. He lets people in." I explained, walking away from the kitchen and after Luke.

I knew he walked out, which he always did whenever he fought with his parents. He was sitting on the porch again, hugging his knees. I walked over there and wrapped my arms around him. "I'm sorry Emily. You shouldn't have to see that." Luke sighed, rubbing his eyes. I pecked his lips. "I hate how you always have to see me at my worst." he whispered. I rolled my eyes. "Luke, stop saying that. I totally understand why you're angry, you should be." I stated. "But you shouldn't have to see me like that." he groaned, getting frustrated again. "Listen to me okay. You have to stop beating yourself up about this! Luke I love you so, so much and nothing will change that. Just because you're angry at your mother won't make me hate you! I totally understand why you're angry. Please stop beating yourself up." I begged, intertwining our fingers. Luke sighed, but nodded. "I love you, Em." he whispered, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear.