Prologue

Warning: Some parts of the first few chapters may be a bit messy so I apologize for any grammar or spelling mistakes in there. If you guys see any I might've missed PLEASE let me know. Cuz I like, cannot stand those errors if I don't fix em. I get OCD around those mistake LOL. 

Anywho,  I hope you all enjoy this new series. The Jungle Book was a big part of my childhood and I really wanted to expand my imagination on it a bit. :)

Prologue

"We don't have much time, Lazarus! We wait any longer, and we lose our only daughter!" The dark cheetah mother stroked the head of her child, who was peacefully asleep in her arms. Despite her daughter's serene state, she knew that behind it all was a clock ticking away at the very last seconds of her child's lifespan.

Her husband sighed heavily with worry. "You think I don't know that Marie? If we leave now we'll be hunted down! I can't risk losing you or our child!"

"We stay here and you lose both of us!" She spat back. "Staying here puts us at a greater risk. We can't hide forever."

Lazarus looked over his shoulder, ensuring no one was around to eavesdrop in on their conversation.

"Then our only option is to leave tonight. If my research serves us well, I know how we can save her." He stroked his daughter's head, smoothening the furrowed brows on her forehead.

Their child, about only seven years old, had been diagnosed with a rare jungle-type fever. It wasn't a typical fever that came with a burning head and coughing. It was far more fatal, and practically life-draining. Symptoms included difficulty breathing, and in worst cases a coma. Which, unfortunately, was what their daughter had ended up in.

The couple waited til midnight until they took action. The city they resided in wasn't the safest nor coziest place to be on the planet. And what made it all the more welcoming was that their kind had been through a recent genocide war in the past few years. Even though the war was declared over, terrorist groups still ran amok. Searching for any way to splurge out any remains of the black furred cheetahs.

Marie and Lazarus slipped through the shadows after leaving their apartment. Shuffling behind buildings and through alleyways to get where they needed to be. Lazarus' heart pounded so hard in his chest that he feared it was audible enough for any terrorist attackers nearby to hear him. Marie kept close beside him, holding his hand tightly while cradling their child with her other arm.

"There, that's the shop!" Lazarus pointed to a humble looking shack in the distance. Marie squinted her eyes in disbelief.

"Are you insane!? How exactly will this-" before she could finish, a piercing howling noise exploded into the streets.

The Red Dogs

Her husband grabbed her arm and sprinted without hesitation. "It's better than nothing Marie!"

The two of them rushed to the doorstep of the shack and pounded on the door. A grumble came from the other side, walking to the door. Who could be crazy enough to be up at this hour? The owner opened the door, revealing an old woman with black sunglasses. Her expression immediately shifted from irritated to surprised.

"Marie, honey! Come in! Come in quickly!" The woman led the cheetahs inside and locked the door. Then peeked out her window, clearly searching for any Red Dogs nearby. Once the coast was clear, she shut the windows and flipped on the light switch. Turning her attention back to the couple.

"What brings you two lovebirds here?"

"Mama Odie, we're here because of our daughter," Marie revealed the cub in her arms, which only resulted in an eyebrow raise from the Voodoo Queen.