Fighting to be Free

Timeskip: A couple days later. It's still Spring Break.

Phoenix's POV

"GUYS! WATCH OUT!"

Huey shouted as the monster hurled itself at the explorer group. Scrooge, Webby, Phoenix, Louie, and Duey all sprinted towards the exit portal. Over the past couple of days Scrooge had taken us all on a little adventure to an abandoned museum in Cape Suzette. Rumors had it that the place was haunted with the ghosts of history, and a special artifact known as the dragon's eye was kept hidden there. This special jewel held the power to answer any questions one might want to know. Questions about the universe's secrets, untold legends, and anything else one could conjure that humanity never found the answer to. Of course, the triplets all had questions of their own to ask. Mostly involving their long lost mother, and why Scrooge and Donald never talked for years until the triplets moved into the mansion. I wondered about this to, but, at least they had a mom. Whenever I thought about my own parents, it was all....fuzzy. I still remember what Scar had done to them, but I suppress those memories in the darkest corners of my mind. What I didn't realize was how far I pushed those memories down. So much so to the point that I had almost forgotten what they looked like.....why? What was my childhood with them like? Was it a happy one? I.....I just can't seem to remember........

"PHOENIX! A LITTLE HELP HERE!" Scrooge called out from behind. The monster was blocking our only way out towards the exit portal. I lit my clawed hands aflame, and threw my fire into the monster's eyes. Blinding it temporarily. My gaze flicks back to the group. 

"Now you guys!"

Scrooge links arms with Huey, who latches on the the rest of the group. My own hand grabs onto Webby's feathered one after I put out my flames. The monster was eft weakened by my attack, allowing us to head into the portal safely. 

Once we made it to the other side, Maddie was already there waiting for us. She closed up he portal or "rabbit hole" as she liked to call it. Everyone stopped to catch their breath, relieved we all made it in one piece. 

"That was close! Nice aiming there lassie." Scrooge said, straightening his hat and dusting himself off. "You still got the eye?"

"Yep, here." I toss him the jewel. "What exactly are you going to ask it?"

"Nothing much. I'm thinking about just putting it away for safekeeping  as of right now. Why, did you want to ask it something?"

I thought about this for a moment. Of course I had questions. Millions upon millions of questions about my kind, and if there were any others out there like me. Why the spirit of the Phoenix chose me and what purpose did my gift posses? But then again, I knew better than to dabble with dark magic. Something that I had learned both from Scrooge and Mama Odie. 

I shake my head with a smile. "Nah, I think I'm good. The world would be quite bring if everything made sense anyway."

"Huh? I never really thought of that." Huey commented as he tapped his beak thoughtfully. Knowing him, he always wondered about the questions of the universe as well of the wonders of science. So I was surprised to see him agreeing with me on something like this. 

"Well then, I guess that settles that. I'm going to put this away until we find a better use for it. As of right now, help yourselves to some dinner. I'll meet back up with you all shortly." Scrooge tipped his hat and headed to his main office. 

"What's for dinner?" I asked.

"I think Granny is making enchiladas. Uh, you're not vegetarian or vegan or anything, right?" Webby asked.