No Rest For The Young Cubs

"Put your back into it kid! C'mon! First race is in two weeks!"

"Yes coach!"

"Just keep that pace until the last 100 meters!" Phil checked his watch. The splits during each lap were coming out with the expected times. Everyone on the team had grown in strength and speed over the winter conditioning. He was proud of all the hard work paying off. The students here were determined to get to the championship finals. Phil kept that goal in mind, and was ready to help them get there.

His hoof clicked against the track, stopping his stopwatch. Phoenix was the first to finish along with Maddie. The rabbit and the cheetah came to a halt at the finish line. The rest of the team followed after.

"Great start to a Friday kiddos! I'll keep you all posted for tomorrow's morning workout. Get some fuel in ya and hydrate well."

Maddie wiped the sweat off her white ears. "Got it coach Phil!"

Once Phil left the stadium the students made their way to the locker rooms to freshen up. Maddie and Phoenix walked together, both of them sweating bullets.

"Girl, you look like you need a nap. Get any sleep last night?"

"No," Phoenix sighed, rubbing her eyes. "I was up all night studying for Bahgeera's exam."

Maddie rolled her eyes. "It's easy stuff. You shouldn't worry about it too much."

"Yeah, but I just wanna stay prepared."

"That, coming from living with Baloo. The bare necessities guy."

"He can have his necessities. And I'll keep to mine."

Maddie huffed. "You're being an over-thinker. Tell me why you aren't staying with Bahgeera again?"

"I dunno. You're telling me."

The two animals made it to the locker rooms and changed into fresh clothes. Their first class didn't start til 8:00. Their first period teacher wasn't too strict with punctuality, so they decided to meet up with Lena.

Maddie insisted that they'd use a portal to get to Lena's place faster. Of course, being the daughter of the white rabbit had its perks. And for her, it meant popping and teleporting to other places in seconds.

"Last time we went through one of your rabbit holes, we nearly ended up across the globe!"

"One time! One time Phoenix! Besides, I can totally handle it now. Took a few days to master it, but I swear it works every time." Maddie perked her ears up, silently pleading for an excuse to use her powers.

Phoenix exhaled loudly. "Ok, fine. Let's go."

"YAY!"

Maddie opened the rabbit hole on the ground. It glowed with a baby blue hue, enticing and enchanting. She took the first jump inside with the dark furred cheetah beside her. Lena was residing with the Mcduck's all the way in DuckBerg. The other side of the portal was visible enough to show a large mansion in the distance. At least they weren't about to land in Africa or Greenland like they did last time.

Lena was already outside with her backpack waiting for them. The weather was still transitioning from winter into spring, so the mornings were always chilly. Lena wore an oversized sweater with a collared shirt underneath with jeans. Phoenix was wearing an AC/DogsC gray crew neck while Maddie had a softer sort of style. A white skirt with a navy blue long sleeve sweater vest complimented her dark brown eyes. Maddie was the first to hop over to Lena with a cheerful smile.

"Lena! What's up?"

"Nothin' much. How was practice for you guys this morning?"

"Phil was merciful enough to not make us do more mileage. We got out a few minutes early." Said Phoenix.