16| Downpour

Valedictorian.

They graduated with one of the most honorable titles in all of the graduating class, a task that was nowhere near easy to accomplish.

Looking at the sea of people, Y/n's heartbeat quickened, seeing their dad sitting neatly near the front, accompanied by their brother and mother.

If they knew he was coming, they'd spend a lot more time working on their speech.

Nonetheless, him even deciding to show up made Y/n happy, because he never showed up to any other of Y/n's events. For the first time, he was interested in her life.

After Y/n gave their speech, they sat down on the stage, a privilege given to only them and the salutatorian. Their eyes were glued on the three family members. The first graduation in the family.

Well besides their-

Y/n walked with shaky legs, trying to find their dad. All their friends went to hug their parents, and decided on taking pictures after.

Part of Y/n was dreading this moment, and the other was bouncing off the walls, desperate to receive the attention their dad never gave them.

"Y/n!" A voice called. Y/n turned around to be met with their younger brother. He was only two years younger. A sophomore. And yet he's gotten so much taller and more mature.

A smile appeared on their lips, arms outstretched to embrace him in a tight hug. He chuckled, putting his own arms around their back.

Since Y/n's sister left 4 years ago, Y/n and (___) became close, promising each other that they'd stick with each other. Because that's all they had. Each other.

"Shit, it feels like yesterday you were yelling at me for chewing too loudly," He whispered in their ear, earning a soft giggle. "Congrats, Y/n, you deserve this more than anyone."

"Thank you, (___)."

They broke the hug soon after, their father approaching behind them.

"Father." Y/n straightened their posture, attempting to look as presentable as possible. The older male only stared down, eyes untelling of thoughts. And then, just for a second, the impossible happened.

He smiled at them.

Y/n's eyes widened, unable to mask the clear surprisement on their face.

"Y/n, look how you've grown. It was only so long ago I was telling you of the business. And here you are now, ready to become my successor." Y/n smiled. A compliment. He was proud of them. They were too content. Their dad loved them. Everything was going perfect.

So perfect, Y/n didn't even care he called them his successor.

Y/n could feel their heartbeat in their ears, tears cascading gently down their face.

Four hours.

They spent four hours writing their essay for an English final. Only for their professor to spew harsh criticism at them when asked for input.

And it shouldn't have been this devastating. They shouldn't be crying. But with the way they seemed to have corrections on nearly every aspect of the paper, they were bound to fail.

They were bound to die.

Y/n did their best to navigate themselves to their dorm room with tears welling in their eyes. Finally finding the room and putting their key in, they stormed in and slammed the door, dropping their book bag to the ground. Tears started to stream down their face even faster, sobs breaking through their throat. They slid their back against the door, bugging their knees close to their chest as they cried alone in the dorm room.