2. evanescent

"will come on, we've been out for like an hour talk to me," mike dragged as he extended his arm across the table, tapping his fingers towards me.

i looked up from my plate and dropped my fork. dramatically slapping his hands, "well it is a bit weird that i dreamt of the exact same thing that happened today, and i cant figure out why". he gave me a loud groan and threw his head back.

"well it's probably a precognitive dream, i read a paper about it" mike added on jerking his head forward facing me again.

"mike im even surprised you know the word precognitive, let alone read a paper"

"you're so mean i am very hurt", mike said nagging at me. i think it's partly about eating a waffle for an hour.

i decided not to scrape every last bit of my plate clean and stood up. mikes head turned upwards to face me, immediately getting the message that we were finally leaving.

he mimicked me as he stood up pushing in the chair, heading to the cashier with me.

.

the mindless driving reached to the park, we ended up on a bench. it was the middle of summer in the afternoon so of course the park was extremely crowded. full of people running towards the beach-lake. 

 i spotted a nice couple, just looking at eachother while the chattering of the people around them. they were happy, ever since i was a child i wanted something like that. but it was always a boy and a girl.

"are you happy?"

"yeah, yeah i am, with you," mike assured turning his head to face my own. i shot him a smile waiting for more, something else, for something i already know what.

"and el, lucas, dustin and max. the whole party, you guys are my best friends." as he finished up his sentence, my smile broke off for a moment at the word friends. but regained its original position plastered on my face.

we were friends, me an mike were friends. it's stupid to think that we were anything more. of course he added all our friends because it was mike, and i don't know what else i was expecting. i looked away.

"but are you happy?", a set smile on his face as i struggled to turn back to him. finally i allowed my eyes to make the journey to his ever unmoving expression, its impossible to read him at any time. where sometimes he makes it an obvious fact. but as soon as i fully turned to face him he looked away like i was a leopard .

before i answered i tried to match my sight with his. i tried to unnoticeably glance in his direction and spotted the same couple in the distance, not wanting to hope for anything. "i am, there's nothing else i could want now". another unreadable smile greeting me as soon as i replied.

suddenly mike jerked up, am i using the word mike too much? he subtly stretched his back out, then stretching out his hand to me, i looked up his lanky figure in curious, and confused expression. "want to get in the water?", mike said with an ever goofy grin. one of those moments where he makes his expression noticeable. i scoffed at him taking a short glance to the water and everybody in it.

"well number one, im wearing jeans, number two, you're wearing jeans". he groaned taking my hands and pulling me up despite my resistance, "come on its fun, we're basically seniors. plus we used to do this a few years ago!" mike complained shaking my hands, an attempt to persuade me into agreeing.

"and by a few years you mean 10 years, we were 7 mike", i shook his hands back urging to sit back down. "one time? just for old times sake", mike continued persuading me.

"you're saying it like you're an old man in his 50s", i smiled leading him closer to the waters. he paused letting me lead him. "does that mean we're doing it?" he asked unsurely.

"no shit sherlock, i mean you're right. we're only 17 in the summer once."

.

as we were on the sand in an empty spot, i took off my vans and took a good step on the sand before realising my mistake.

"wait mike i forgot, we don't have fucking towels" i said standing as still as a twig, trying not to get more sand on myself. though that would make no difference.

"hold on there's a shop over there I'll get a towel and probably some slippers. or would you like me to pick you up by your feet and carry you bridal style to the store like a princess", he said with a terribly ridiculous smile. i sighed at him in a disapproving manner, definitely concealing how hard i wanted to laugh at the unfunny remark.

"well if you're going take my wallet, i want chips", i handed him my wallet before he went running off.

.

i took a glance behind me at the towel on the floor along with four bags of chips before turning back to my feet. i lifted up my pants legs, looking up to a good view of mike in the water, clothes soaked.

he trudged in the water towards me, though if i knew what was going to happen i would have ran backwards.

"mike what are you doing"

"nothing"

he managed to trudge through the water quicker, slowly as he reached more shallow waters then before. he grabbed my arm dragging me forward. "mike,what the actual fuck I'm all wet" i yelled trying to pull my arm back.

as we reached a sudden stop he pulled me towards himself and moved out of the way, plunging me into the water.

i picked myself as tried to wipe my hands off my, completely wet shirt. which had zero effect.

"mike you fucker," i said pulling his hand down, instead dragging his whole body down to me as the waves hit.

we probably looked like two teenage idiots in t shirts and jeans on the beach.

mike pulled himself back up chucking to himself before splashing water at my face uncontrollably. i laughed but competitiveness got the better of me. i jumped up from the water splashing the taller one with twice the amount of water he did with me.

he jerked my leg towards himself and i landed on him, hovering above him.

"well hello there," a cheekish smile painted his face with colours as he stared at my own, wet, and probably covered with sand face.

his hair was full of sand no matter how much the water continuously rushed over it.

i laughed as i tried to brush my hand through his hair, attempting to get rid of the sane but just making him worse. "you look like an idiot" i said without even moving my position.

.