⚠️Chapter 9: Past And Present (Part 1)⚠️

Loklynn stared dumbly at the chains in her lap. The metal links connecting the cuffs together were broken in two places, once near the middle, and another a little ways from the left cuff. The right cuff had been wrenched apart, the iron broken and bent out of shape into two crescent joints that were just barely hanging on.

"How...?" The awed girl murmured. She turned her hands around in front of her face, touching a tentative finger to her freed wrist as if she'd never seen it before. The truth was, she did know how, she knew EXACTLY how; though she hadn't seen herself do it presently, that horrible flashback had told her all she needed to know.

A sudden rush of awareness shot through her head, from temple to temple like an electric shock. Her chest throbbed, her throat tightened as if a scream was trapped at its base.

This feeling... it wasn't hers.

Unbidden, Loklynn's eyes shot up to the ceiling once more, searching, straining to find the source. It rang from above like ripples of static:

Fear.

Pain.

Someone was in danger. She had to save them.

Someone was hurt. She had to heal them.

She had to help them.

She had to help.

SHE HAD TO HELP.

Loklynn didn't remember getting up and leaving the room. One second, she was in the bed, looking at the ceiling; the next thing she knew, she was stumbling to a halt in the cabin quarter's hallway. She had to catch herself against the wall before she fell, breathing hard as if she'd been running. The sounds of battle were audible from just around the corner where the galley stairs were located.

She could hear the screams, the booms, the clashing metal.

She didn't want to go out there.
She knew what she'd see.

But her legs moved on their own...

______________________________

She needed to get to Piper's mama. She had to save her, had to do it, because she could feel Piper's pain and worry stabbing her in the chest. She was just about ready to beg when the green man put a hand on her head.

"...Alright, just hold on, little one," the green man told her before turning to the Purple man. "Korlin. Do you have enough strength left to break that wall? She's right, Maraki's cell is on the other side."

In lieu of words, 'Korlin' responded by drawing back and heaving one mighty purple fist straight through the cell wall, bringing down nearly half of it in one strike. The three men entered the cell, followed by Loklynn. She started to run past them, eager to reunite Piper and her mama. She was stopped, both by the massive wave of smoke and heat and by the hand of the green man holding her back. The bars of the cell had been nearly buried by rubble from the first explosion, creating an enclosed space that allowed the fire within to run wild, filling the room with the unbearably thick smoke that now washed over them.

She looked over the green man's arm with watery eyes, searching through the room as the heavy miasma of smog quickly lifted. It was already hard to breathe, but when the cloud faded enough for her to see past it, she stopped breathing altogether.

There was a woman laying face down on the floor by the far wall of the cell. Half of her body was trapped beneath the ruins of the fallen ceiling, while her visible half was covered by flames.