Chapter 37: Important Calls

In a very different part of the world, a very different Red Haired captain was having a very different night.

Shanks was sprawled out on the roof of his vessel's forecastle, legs crossed at the ankles and hands folded behind his head as he soaked in the atmosphere of the party raging on the deck below. Loud laughter and drunken cheers of merriment echoed across the ship alongside the clinks and thuds of the occasional random toast.  The mouthwatering aroma of roasted sea king mixed with the heady smell of cheap booze and the familiar salty scent of the ocean. The slivered crescent of the moon seemed to smile down at him, surrounded by an infinite array of twinkling stars.
Good food, cheap drinks, friendly company... what more could a man ask for? Shanks truly led a blessed life.

Too bad he couldn't enjoy it with the rest of his crew.

He had only shared news of Loklynn's situation with the inner cirle of the Red Force, the eight original members of his crew that had been the closest to Loklynn while she was with them. They'd decided to keep it on the down low from the other twenty-eight, not wanting them to feel like they had to go on the warpath for a girl that most of them didn't even know in the first place when they already had several other objectives dividing their attention.

It was almost physically painful, putting on a bold face in front of his crew while he was sick with worry inside; No matter how much he tried to pretend, Shanks always found his thoughts straying right back to Loklynn. Really, how could he not worry? The girl was practically his daughter. It was his responsibility to keep her safe and out of the public eye, and he'd failed. He'd thought living on Kuraigana with Mihawk was the best option, a way to keep her out of the government's clutches while ensuring she got training and protection that only someone like Mihawk could provide.

He couldn't remember the last time he'd been as shocked as when he'd seen her wanted poster in the paper just a month before.

_____________________________________________

Four weeks ago...

Shanks' jaw tightened in frustration as the snail's repeated ringing grated on his nerves.

Puru-puru-puru.

He was standing over his desk, eyes fixed on the image in the poster before him while his hand gripped the mouthpiece with near crushing force. There was no doubt about it: that was Loklynn in the photo, and it wasn't taken in Mihawk's little swamp kingdom. Was she still with Mihawk? As far as Shanks knew, the Warlord didn't want the government knowing of his affiliation with her, and it wasn't like him to slip up like this.

Puru-puru-puru. Puru-puru-puru.

"C'mon, Mihawk..." the red head muttered, practically shaking with impatience.

The government had obviously recognized her despite how she'd aged; with that ridiculous starting bounty and plethora of what had to be falsified charges, it was clear to him that they recognized her Devil Fruit and were willing to pay any price necessary to get their hands on it. Did they find out Mihawk was hiding her and manage to defeat him somehow? No, that was impossible, Shanks couldn't see him getting captured. They'd have to bring a couple armies to manage that. Unless it was Sengoku or a couple admirals... hell, this was killing him.

"Pick it up already..." he hissed.

Puru-puru-puru. Puru-puru-puru. Puru-puru-puru. Puru-

Cuh-lick.

"Red ha-"

"FINALLY!" Shanks exclaimed. "For the love of God, Hawkeye, learn to pick up a damn snail!!"