Chapter 21: Questions Go Unanswered

They'd still been asking her questions when she began to fall asleep. Each answer came a little slower from her lips as her exhaustion caught up with her until she eventually found herself leaning tiredly against Killer, something that probably would have embarrassed her if she'd been alert enough to care.

Kid thankfully forewent the brig this time, instead settling for putting her on a pallet on Heat's floor. She didn't mind this at all, seeing as Heat seemed to be the most amicable of the five men aboard. It was a mistake on her part to smile at the news; when Kid saw her perk up, he'd scowled and stipulated to Heat that the 'rat' wasn't to be given more than a single blanket.

To his credit, the cross-stitched softie was even more put out about it as she was:

"I know I already apologized to you today," he said as he set up a pallet for her on the other side of his room, "But I'm gonna go ahead and do it again. On the captain's behalf this time."

Not wanting him to look any more gloomy, Loklynn was quick to reassure him. "No, It's not your fault! It was an order. I'm just happy that these are the only chains I have to wear."

She demonstrated by lifting her hands and giving them a playful wiggle to showcase the shiny new set of seastone cuffs that Killer had slapped on her wrist before they all parted ways for the night. The two feet of chains connecting them had been cut and left to dangle between the cuffs, which was sure to get irritating eventually... but for now, she decided to just appreciate the saucy jingle they added to her snazzy jazz-hand work.

"They're stylish, too!" She grinned, pleased when she got a small snort of quiet laughter from the chronically morose pirate.

"So it really doesn't piss you off," he sent her a dubious glance over his shoulder. "C'mon, not even a little? I mean, Kid only gave the order 'cause he likes messin' with you. That's gotta sting somewhat."

He had a point there; her face twisted a bit as she thought about how much Kid and Killer seemed to enjoy heckling her. Sure she was mad, it was hard not to be, but still... how could she put this...

"Your captain is a different story," she said finally, "but I don't resent you for respecting his wishes. You empathize with me, and of course I appreciate it, but I also understand you can't always have the luxury of being as friendly as you want to. Loyalty comes before kindness sometimes, so don't feel too bad. Okay?"

Following her exposition was a long pause consisting of Heat staring incredulously at her for about ten seconds before she flushed and looked away. She remembered Yasopp and Limejuice teasing her about saying stuff like that, maybe she shouldn't have-

"It's hard to believe you're a pirate when ya talk like that," he gave her a sad smile that turned a bit sly as he added, "Probably the weirdest pirate I ever met, though, not gonna lie."

She smiled back.

"Probably."

_______________________________________

When she woke up the next morning, sore and stiff and nursing a pounding headache, Heat was already gone.

Her discomfort worsened when Kid literally kicked the door in and abruptly swooped her up without so much as a how-do-you-do. The t-shirt Heat gave her the night before was way baggier on her than the last one, loose enough that it flipped up and revealed her new boxer shorts as she was hefted up and over his shoulder like a sack of flour.