Chapter 15

Adam

At half past five, I arrived home.

"Ally?" I called out.

"I'm in the kitchen," she called out.

The smell coming from the kitchen is familiar.

I smiled. Albondigas and paella, no doubt.

I walk over to the kitchen to find Ally preparing some food. I had to swallow hard at the image in front me.

If only Ally had truly loved me, this could really be us.

I shook my head.

Stop it!

"You didn't have to cook. My mom said she was going to bring some food over."

"It's okay. I made Albondigas and paella," she said. "It's a good thing Carmen keeps stock of all the ingredients."

"Smells good," I said.

"Really?" She asked, surprised by my compliment.

"I'm not a complete monster, querida."

"I never thought of you as one," she muttered.

"Really?" I asked. "Not even after everything I've done to you?"

She shook her head. "Adam... Can..."

"What?" I raised my eyebrows in question.

"Can we call a truce? Just for tonight?"

The look on her face rendered me speechless. I wanted to tell her that I decide what happens in this arrangement and that she is in no position to make any requests... But I didn't have the heart to do so. Not with that look on her face. And I fucking hate myself for feeling this way. I'm not supposed to feel anything. But fuck, if I listened. I found myself nodding and saying, "Just for tonight."

Her eyes rounded in surprise. It was clear on her reaction that she wasn't expecting me to agree.

Then she smiled. A real smile. I found myself smiling back at her.

I cleared my throat. "So... What can I do to help?"

"You want to help? Me?"

"We're on a truce tonight remember?" I winked.

She laughed. "Right. You can help me set the table if you want," she said.

"Okay," I said and did as she asked.

After setting up the table, I figured we still have time to sign the contract prepared by Greg.

"Ally, let's go to my study for a few minutes," I said. "I just want to run the contract by you."

I picked up my suitcase and headed to the study.

"Oh. Okay," she said and followed me.

"Have a seat," I pointed to the chair at my desk.

She sat down, and I could tell she was nervous and anxious at the same time.

I opened my suitcase and pulled out the contract.

"Here is your copy. Read through it. If you have any questions, you can ask me."

She nodded and took the contract with trembling hands.

"Don't be nervous. This is just a formality."

I sat down in front of her and watched her as she read the contents of the contract.