Chapter 18

Adam

I've been sitting here for hours trying to do some work, and I've accomplished nothing.

I winced as I remembered the look on her face when I told her she was nothing to me, and all those other times I insulted her.

I got what I wanted from her, so why the hell am I not happy? Why the hell do I feel like I've just lost everything?

Her face held pain at every turn. No matter how hard she tried to hide it, I saw it. I recognize the look because it's the same look I had when she crushed my heart into a million prices with her rejection.

None of this makes sense.

Nothing adds up.

The Ally in front of me now is so damn different from the Ally who broke my heart all those years ago. I could see how broken and fragile she is underneath that fight she puts on. And I don't understand it.

Damn it!

What the hell happened? Why does she seem like the Ally I fell in love with. The Ally who broke my heart seems like a fragment of my imagination now that I have her in front of me.

Oh hell. Stop looking for fucking excuses for her, I told myself angrily. This is exactly the point. You don't really know who the hell she is! You don't know what's real and what's not real about her.

What the hell made her say those things to me? What made her want to toy with my feelings? How could she be that good of an actress and pretend, rather convincingly that she loved me back? How could she hate me, yet fall apart in my arms every time I kiss her or hold her?

Because she enjoys sex, I told myself. She suffered my touch. Fuck she gave herself to me in spite of the fact that she claims that she felt nothing for me. She fell apart in my arms that night and moaned my name, and yet she is turned off by the fact that I was a poor bastard.

Suddenly I heard a commotion outside my office. Then my double door suddenly flew open and Elizabeth comes rushing in.

"What in the hell is going on?" I asked. "How did you get in here?"

"Darling, can you please remind your secretary who I am?"

I frowned at her. "What are you doing here Elizabeth? I thought I made myself clear," I grounded out.

"Oh darling come on. We're good together."

"Elizabeth, we are done. I want nothing more to do with you. How many times do I have to say it? Our arrangement has run its course. It's time to move on," I said then called for security to escort her out of the building.

"You're going to regret this, Adam."

"The only thing I regret is getting involved with you. Do not cross me again, Elizabeth," I warned.

"I know about your new plaything, Adam. You found yourself a new toy. You're going to get tired of her, and you'll come running back to me," she said.

How the hell did she know? Oh why the hell does it matter?

Two security came in.

"Please escort the lady out and make sure she doesn't get past security again," I said.

The security escorted Elizabeth out of my office.

Kelsey stood there shaking her head at me. "Wow, you really know how to pick'em," she said sarcastically.

I scowled at her.

"What?" She asked with a teasing smile.

"Don't. I'm not in the mood for your smart mouth, and best friend's fiancé or not, I can still fire you!"