Chapter 17

Ally

Damn it!

I slumped down on my bed the second Adam was gone.

The way he lifted his hand as if he was about to strike me just triggered memories that I've tried so hard to bury.

Then Adam started asking questions, and I panicked.

I panicked and ended up hurting him again.

The twinge of pain that I saw cross his eyes was like a dagger to my heart. But I knew he wouldn't stop so I had to; and reminding him of why he shouldn't care about me is the way I thought of.

He can't find out the truth.

He just can't.

I slid under the covers and lay on my side.

I closed my eyes and tears rolled down my cheeks.

The way he held me and comforted me... It was just like old times. I've always missed his touch and the feeling I get when he holds me close, but I never knew just how much until he was holding me close to him tonight.

I opened the drawer of the side table and pulled out my ring from it's hiding place.

It was the ring that Adam gave me the night before his accident.

Ten years ago...

"Why are you looking at me like that?" I whispered.

He smiled... That boyish smile, and my heart fluttered.

"I love you so much," he said.

I smiled at him. "I love you too."

He grinned and pulled something out of his pocket.

It was a ring. A beautiful ring, with a heart in the middle intertwined by an infinity sign that wraps around the band.

He held it in front of me.

"It's so beautiful," I breathed.

"I love you so much, querida. I promise that no matter what happens, I will never stop loving you," he said and tears start to fall from my eyes.

"Don't cry sweetheart. You know it breaks my heart to see you cry," he said as he wiped my tears away.

I laughed tearfully. "You just make me so happy. You are the only good thing left in my life. How did I get so lucky? I'm so damn happy, Adam. I never thought I could be this happy."

"And I'm going to spend all of my life making you even more happy. You are my heart and soul, querida. Today I give you all of me. No matter where life takes us, you will always have my heart. Never forget that my sweet Allyson," he said.

"I never will. I will always carry your love and your heart safely in mine," I said.

He smiled and he slid the ring on my finger.

We looked into each other's eyes and smiled.

He cupped my face and kissed me.

Present...

I bring the ring up to my lips and kissed it.

Tears were continuously falling from my eyes.

I kept this ring and wore it around my neck all these years. I couldn't part with it because it held so much meaning to the both of us.