texting

Luz sat in class, her teacher's voice ringing through the room. She looked at the clock on the wall, seeing there was about 20 minutes of class left. The girl sighed, pulling out her phone. She checked a few apps, but there wasn't much activity. She opened her messages app, scrolling through her contacts, debating if she should text someone. Nothing caught her eye, not until a certain contact appeared on the screen.

'amity <3'

Luz's thumb stopped on the screen, and she just stared, blinking. Hesitantly, she opened the chat, and scrolled up to the top.

July 2nd
2:37PM

Amity
hey, it's amity. willow gave me ur number.. if that's okay

Luz
hi ams! ofc that's okay :))

Luz glanced back up around the classroom, her eyes fluttering a bit. She inhaled sharply, looking back down at the screen.

Amity
okay great lol, can u meet me at the library?

Luz
yeah sure, see u :)

July was around the time Amity dyed her hair purple. The two had just stated to get close, they began to hang out more frequently that month.

Luz scrolled down a little, finding another conversation.

June 17th
5:28PM

Luz
AMITY

Amity
WHAT

Luz
DO U WANNA COME STAY THE NIGHT

Amity
JUST ME AND YOU?

Luz
YEAH

Amity
OH OKAY
I'LL GET ED AND EM TO COVER FOR ME
I'LL BE THERE IN LIKE 15 MINUTES

Luz
YAY OKAY

Luz smiled down at her phone, remembering that night. Amity had told her it was the first time she'd had a sleepover at someone else's house. When her and Willow were younger, Odalia always made Willow come to the mansion. Amity, Eda, King, and Luz stayed up until 2AM playing games and just goofing off. She remembered staring into Amity's eyes at 3AM while they laid in Luz's bed, sleep deprivation taking over their conversation. She remembered Amity's messy hair that brushed against her face as she breathed in the morning sun.

Luz scrolled a little more.

August 4th
8:18PM

Amity
can i come over?

Luz
of course ams. is everything alright?

Amity
not really. i'll tell u when i get there.

Luz's gaze dropped to the floor, memories from one of her most heartbreaking nights came back to her. Amity showed up at the owl house with mascara trailed all down her face. She was dusted a puffy pink, but nothing could hide the red hand print on her cheek.

That was the first time that Odalia ever hit Amity. Apparently she'd went apeshit over Amity getting a B, which lead to her scolding Amity for dying her hair, hanging out with Luz, and not wanting to join the emperor's coven.

Luz's heart broke for the girl. She couldn't understand how anyone could treat their child like that, let alone Amity.

Luz spent that summer night holding Amity to her chest, letting her cry and vent. She poured her heart out until she fell asleep, in the Latina's arms. That was the night Luz fell into the lavenderette's trance. Knowing that Luz was Amity's first choice when she needed time away from home, or that she trusted her enough to sit there and cry to her meant the world to her.