hope

Luz held the cardboard crown in her hands, chuckling to herself.

"King's going to love it, it looks just like his old one," She told her mom, opening the passenger door and climbing into the car.

The two had just got done eating at a fast food restaurant, when Luz noticed they had those crowns. Thinking back to the promise she made to the titan before she left, she grabbed one before they walked out.

"King, I miss that little fur-ball. Tell him to come visit Mami Camila," The older woman spoke as she backed out of the parking spot.

"Oh my Titan, never call yourself that again," Luz laughed, pointing at her mom.

"What? I think it suits me,"

"Mom,"

The two teased each other for the rest of the drive home. As the car came to a stop, Luz grabbed the crown and a few shopping bags in the floorboard, and hopped out. She started around to the other side of the car to help her mom, but saw that Camila already had it covered.

The two walked into the house, placing the bags on the kitchen table. Luz offered to help her mom put the groceries up, but Camila declined, telling Luz to go relax. She smiled at the older woman, turning to walk to her room.

She opened the door and flicked on the overhead light, kicking her shoes off by the door. She walked over to her bed and shrugged her coat off, laying it over the footboard. She flopped on her stomach, pulling her phone out of her pocket.

A few texts from the group chat, a few social media messages, nothing really caught her eye. She sighed and rolled over, throwing her phone down. Her eye did catch the diary.

Luz pushed herself up, reaching over for the book, then plopping back down and flipping it open to the last page she'd read.

August 9th

Titan, the time is flying by. It feels like just three weeks ago I had my first seizure.

I'm falling apart. Mentally and physically. I didn't know it was possible to feel as sick as I do. I'm in constant pain and discomfort. I can hardly even move my own body. This isn't fucking living.

This morning, one of the nurses was helping me wash my hair. She uses this really nice shampoo brush, it feels so good lol. Anyway, not the point. I lost like three clumps of hair. Three. Like damn, I know I shed but not that bad.

My doctor came in after that to check on me. He's a really nice man, he brings me Jell-O.

He recommended we start doing physical therapy. The only downside is that it could exhaust me more, which, I don't know how I could be even more drained than it is.

Now I'm craving Jell-O damn it.

Okay I called the nurse for Jell-O and I ate it within like thirty seconds oh me.

Fuck my stomach hurts I'm going back to sleep.

Sincerely, Amity

Luz giggled at her girlfriend's words, turning the page slowly. Her eyes lingered on the sentences, carefully taking note of how Amity connected her 'e's with other letters. An exhale blew past her nose, sinking her heart deeper into her chest.

August 16th

I feel strangely good. I woke up well rested, the air just feels cleaner. Am I dead?

I told my nurse and she said that maybe it was the new medicine I was on, and I really hope it is. I haven't felt this good in months. My back kinda hurts, though. Probably from carrying the weight of being the coolest witch ever. B)

I miss Luz. I'm gonna call her.

Sincerely, Amity

Luz remembered this day, it was one that kind of stuck out to her.

Amity had called her, and she sounded a lot better. Her words were coated in joy, and Luz couldn't help but go visit her that day.

Amity was so active, it was like someone had literally replaced her IV with cocaine. It was amazing though, and for once, it almost gave Luz hope.

It was like that the following day as well. Amity's skin seemed to gain more color, breathing felt easier. It made Luz happy to see Amity okay. The world seemed to feel less grey.

August 19th

Heyooooo! Guess who pushed herself upright today?

Me!!

I literally pushed myself up to sitting this morning when I woke up. Maybe it's the physical therapy. I don't skip arm day ;D

Willow brought me a snow cone at lunch. Cherry- my favorite since we were kids. One time, we went to the fair together when we were like, seven, she'd gotten cherry and I got grape. I tried hers and she tried mine, and we ended up switching. I don't think we've gotten any other flavors since that day haha.

Mom never allowed me to have sugar that much as a kid, though. I see why, I am so prone to sugar rushes lol.

The nurses don't say much. I mean, I'm happy that I'm feeling better, but why? I'm supposed to die. I've never heard of anyone bouncing back from this disease. I know I joke about it a lot, but I've never been physically or mentally strong. When I first got sick, it hit me like a train. I was bedridden by the third month, you know?

So what's happening to me?

Sincerely, Amity

Luz closed the book, sucking her bottom lip between her teeth. She sighed, placing it back on the nightstand next to her. She stood up and walked over to her window, looking out. The evening sun shone through her blinds, grazing her face. She just sat and stared, allowing the sun to coat her body.

Sometimes she wished she could think of Amity as a normal person, she hated thinking of her and seeing poetry.