▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ 006

the great war.... 06x01

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

HER HEART WAS RACING.

rosalie sat quietly watching as polly held little karl in her arms. ada sighed, "your so much better with him than me" the woman spoke painfully.

"he settles quicker with me because he can't smell the milk" polly quickly explained, looking to ada and noticing the dark circles that rounded her eyes.

"your tired" she noted, "let's put him down."

she placed the baby in his cot, before returning to sit with her nieces. "mine were terrors for the tit. the both of them, well you two never knew my children, did you?" polly asked.

"we we're children ourselves" ada reminded.

"you don't talk about them" rosalie observed quietly.

"i've no reason to... heart breaks when i even think about them but today, i do" polly sighed, looking at the two young women she raised infront of her.

"they were three and five. sally was three and micheal was five — well two weeks away from being six. it was sunday morning and i was at church, 'your not forgiven' this pinch faced bitch said to me, 'your not forgiven'. you see, i had some sheets i'd washed hung on the line with the name of some hotel" polly began, pain stricken.

"they'd been stolen in a robbery, and they said some porter at the hotel had been coached. a woman from around here told the police about the sheets — jealous, you see, about the sheets. and when the police came, they found a spirits still, making a few drops of gin" polly paused as tears dropped down her cheeks.

"and for that, they took my children from me and never told me where they took them. they did it 'cause they could and 'cause i was weak" polly paused again, bringing a tissue to her eyes as she wiped her tears.

she stared at ada. "they will never take your baby from you, do you know why?" ada shook her head, "because tommy won't let them, 'cause tommy won't let them walk all over us. 'cause he knows... you have to be badder than them to survive" polly spoke proudly.

she raised a finger and pointed it both at ada and rosalie, "i'm telling you both this now, because i want you to forgive him."

"how can i? when my freddie's sitting in jail" ada scoffed.

rosalie didn't respond, he had done the worst. how could she, she loved her brother but he willingly employed and struck a deal with a person she thought she could once trust.

sighing, rosalie looked at ada and grabbed her hand. the woman smiled at her sadly, squeezing her hand tightly.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

rosalie stood beside polly as she watched thomas. she hadn't spoke to him yet, scared for the outcome. "we've brought you all here today 'cause this is the day we replace billy kimber" thomas announced to the room.

"this is the day we become respectable. this is the day we join the official national association of racecourse bookmakers. but first we do the dirty work, now you've all known this day was coming — i just haven't told anyone the date." the man explained.