(1)Chapter 2: Cold Welcome

Your POV

"Nevermore was founded in 1791 to educate people like us. Outcasts, freaks, monsters, fill in your favorite marginalized group here." Enid explains as she leads the tour. I was walking next to Wednesday as we walked around. He seemed bored and like he didn't want to be here. I wouldn't blame him. I hated being forced into new schools where I didn't know people.

"You can save the sanitized sales pitch. I don't plan on staying here for long." He says, confusing Enid.

"Why not?" She asks as she tries to converse with him.

"This was my parent's idea. Oh, look, there's my mother smirking at me." He explains as he looks at a picture of his mother in a fencing outfit. "They've been looking for any excuse to send me here. It's all a part of their nefarious yet completely obvious plan."

"What plan?" I ask. He turns to look at me in the eyes. I try to read his emotions, but all I can pick up on is internal confusion.

"To turn me into a version of themselves." He answers.

"In that case, perhaps you can clear something up. Rumor's been swirling around that you killed a kid at your old school, and your parents pulled strings to get you off." Enid says. I send her a small glare, knowing that she's trying to start rumors around the school with her blog. She notices and tenses slightly, knowing how much I hate when she gossips without thinking about how it could affect her.

"Actually, it was two kids, but who's counting?" Wednesday clarifies. My face shows one of shock and curiosity as we continue the tour.

...

"Welcome to the quad." Enid says as we enter the pentagon shaped area. People congregate in their groups.

"It's a pentagon." Wednesday criticizes as he looks around. I notice Enid becomes more annoyed with his remark.

"The whole snarky Goth guy thing might have worked at normie school, but here things are different. Let me give you a wiki on Nevermore's social scene." Enid scolds as she tries to continue her tour. I sigh as I can't exactly stop her. Though his attitude can come off rude, I've been taught to have patience with new people. You never know their past and their situation.

"I'm not interested in participating in tribal adolescent clichés." He says. I chuckle lightly at his response. I've noticed how cliché cliques are in this school, which is why I've refused to join any. Enid sends me a look that says 'don't encourage his behavior'.

"Well, then use it to fill your obviously bottomless pit of disdain. There are many flavors of outcasts here, but the four main cliques are Fangs, Furs, Stoners, and Scales.
...
Those are the Fangs, AKA vampires. Some of them have literally been here for decades.
...
That bunch of knuckleheads are Furs, AKA werewolves. Like me!" Enid explains as we walk around the quad.

"Full moons get pretty loud around here. That's when Furs wolf out. I suggest you pick up noise-cancelling headphones." I warn as I hand him a list of need-to-have items and the reasons why.

Wednesday nods, and I can see the corner of his mouth twitch a bit as he refuses to let himself smile.

"I'm assuming Scales are sirens?" He asks as he looks towards Bianca and the other sirens.

"You catch on quick. Or you're just smart and have common sense." I compliment as we come to a halt.

"And that girl, Bianca Barclay, is the closest thing Nevermore has to royalty." Enid points out the girl playing with the fountain water. "Although her crown's been slipping lately. She used to date our resident tortured artist, Xavier Thorpe. But they broke up at the beginning of the semester. Reason unknown." Enid gossips. I chuckle a bit at her enthusiasm.

"Fascinating." Wednesday replies.

"I know, right!?" Enid says excitedly. "My vlog is, like, the number one source for Nevermore gossip."

"Yo, Enid! You're not gonna believe the dirt I heard about your new neighbor. He eats human flesh. Chowed down on that kid he murdered. You better watch your back." Ajax says as he confronts Enid. I sigh in embarrassment and annoyance as Enid moves out of the way for Wednesday to come face to face with Ajax.

"Quite the contrary. I actually fillet the bodies of my victims, then feed them to my menagerie of pets." Wednesday says, correcting his statement.

"Ajax, this is our new neighbor, Wednesday. Please try to be polite." I say as I introduce the two.

"Whoa. You're in black and white. Like a living Instagram filter." Ajax says, completely disregarding my statement.

"Ignore him. Gorgons spend way too much time getting stoned." Enid says as Ajax walks away. "He's cute but clueless. It's a small school. There wasn't much online about you. You should really get on Insta, Snapchat, and TikTok."

"I find social media to be a soul-sucking void of meaningless affirmation."

...

Wednesday was outside, having a goodbye with his family. Mrs.Thronhill decided to come to me so that I could quickly grow a black dahlia for him. I felt a little flustered at her request. I shouldn't, though. I had the feeling to want to impress him.

I sigh, trying to brush off the feeling as I focus on growing the black dahlia out of the soil Mrs.Thronhil offered. The flower grows quicker than usual and blooms beautifully. The petals are a beautiful pitch black color.

"Oh, thank you, Y/N! Don't tell anyone you're my favorite." She says as she hugs me.

"Sure, sure. You should check on your lesson plans while Wednesday is still outside." I say as I roll my eyes and smile.

"Alright, make sure to feed your Venus fly traps. Don't want them dying. They keep the bugs away." She says before leaving the room.

Enid proceeds to blast preppy music as soon as Mrs.Thornhill leaves. I sigh and face palm at the loud and obnoxious music.

"If you're gonna ear rape me, at least play something good." I say as I pass her some Britanny spears and (favorite artist) CD's. She laughs a bit at my annoyance.

She looks at the CD's from (favorite artist). "Jeez. These scream mommy/daddy issues." She comments with a smile.

"You better not try to start a rumor, I have poison ivy." I threaten.