(2)Chapter 3: Carnivorous Plants

Your POV

I followed Wednesday to whatever he had spotted. Apparently, it was "Rowan". I felt shocked at first before Rowan made eye contact with me. Usually, he seems timid and self-conscious toward everyone. Now, I could just see stress and secrecy, things very common in someone I know.

"Rowan! We need to talk." Wednesday declared as he catches up to the boy.

"Wednesday, I'm not allowed to speak to anyone." Rowan says as he tries to get away from Wednesday.

"You had a lot to say when you tried to kill me. Told me I was destined to destroy the school, remember?" Wednesday interrogates. "Where did you get that drawing?"

"I just went into the woods to clear my head." Roawn answers, brushing off Wednesday's questions. He climbs into a small car, eager to get away.

"Then you came after me."

"Wednesday. You shouldn't be here." Mrs.Thornhill says from the other side of the car. "You too, Y/N."

"Yeah, back off and leave me alone," Rowan says, slamming the door.

I sigh, stressed from the whole interaction. I know Weems will scold me for letting Wednesday drag me into his mess. It's not exactly my fault in a way.

"Let's get back now. Did you choose a club?" I ask as I lightly tug him by his sleeve. He follows behind shortly after I tug him.

"Yes. I'd like to join the hummers." He answers.

"Alright. I'll be sure to tell Eugene." I say, sending him a small smile as I guide us back to the dorms.

"By the way, the crow never told me much about your encounter with Rowan. Only about the monster. Do you mind telling me about that?" I ask as I lightly tug him behind me.

"I followed him into the woods. Apparently his mother was a seer and saw me as the downfall of this school. He tried to use his telekinesis to kill me." He quickly explained.

"He was the gargoyle!?" I yell. That damn boy was gonna kill me and Wednesday. Wednesday seemed surprised by my short outburst. He gently took Cream from the arm that wasn't tugging him, sparing the rabbit from my anger.

"Calm down, you're acting like this is your first near-death experience," Wednesday says, very terribly trying to console me.

"I-... you're not wrong." I saw tiredly, realizing that technically my abandonment was a near-death experience.

"Plus, Cream seems stressed from your stress," Wednesday adds, looking down at the bunny.

I roll my eyes as we finally make it to my dorm. I open the door and rush to my desk.

"What are you doing?"

"Gonna make chamomile tea. Stress increases my heart rate too much and I can't function when I panic." I answer as I go to a pot filled only with soil. I adjust the soil slightly before I grow the chamomile.

"Doesn't that tire you?" Wednesday asks, and he almost sounds concerned.

"Not really. Depending on how hard it is to grow a plant, the more strain or physical pain I feel. Doesn't last too long though. It's kinda like being cut." I answer, picking the flowers and putting them in a tea trap.

"Y/N, half of the plants in your room require expertise to just make sprout," Wednesday says as he gently placed Cream on my bed before stepping towards me.

"And? They're beautiful. Gotta go through a bit of pain to be pretty." I say dismissively as I pull out a plug-in heater and start to heat some water.

"Y/N, I'm not stupid," Wednesday says as he stands directly behind me.

"I know you're not stupid. But I do know that you can't exactly do anything about my problems." I say as I walk past him and open a drawer in my desk, pulling out a clean mug.

He sighs, annoyed by my stubbornness and unwillingness to let him see completely through me.

He walks out of the room and goes to his own, allowing me to have my tea in peace.

...

I sat alone at a table while I waited for Mrs.Thornhill's class to start. I was sketching out plants that I planned to grow when I had the materials. I was hoping to convince Ms.Weems to allow me to start a produce garden near Eugene's bees.

Wednesday was off on the other side of the room talking to something. Based on the little bits I could hear, it seemed like he was talking to Thing, who was hidden.

"I see you finally made a friend. Even if it is a plant." Bianca mocks.

"I go for quality over quantity," Wednesday says, criticizing her selection of friends.

Wednesday stood next to Xavier's empty table as he glanced around the room, looking for any other seat. I sighed, still annoyed by our last discussion, but I can't stay mad at him for too long. In the back of my mind, I hoped he was only concerned.

"Wednesday," I called over gently. He quickly made eye contact with me, a flicker of uncertainty in his gaze. I gave him a reassuring smile, encouraging him that I wasn't angry at him.

Grabbing soil from a packet in my backpack, I place some in my palm. I use some mineral water to make the soil a little damp before I grew a white Azalea. I cut it diagonally before I gave it to him.

"An apology for concerning you," I state simply before looking away.

"Apology accepted," he says as he looks at the flower and the petal formation. "And Im... sorry... for making you uncomfortable." He says, his voice slightly straining to force himself to apologize. I laugh quietly before I answer him, amused by his struggle.

"I forgive you, but never do that again. It sounds so unnatural." I half-joke before going back to sketching flowers.

"Wednesday, we're thrilled to have you join us on our journey into the world of carnivorous plants." Mrs.Thornhill says as she greets said boy.

She turns to the side, motioning toward a ghost orchid.

"Now... who can tell us the name of this beauty?" She asks. I don't bother to answer, wanting to allow my classmates to learn. At first, it was difficult to keep my love for plants during this class but I always felt guilty not giving others a chance to learn.

"Dendrophylax lindenii." Wednesday answers. I was surprised for a second, amazed that someone else also knew something about plants... besides Bianca...

"Otherwise known as the ghost orchid." Bianca continues.

"First discovered on the Isle of Wight in 1854." Wednesday says, one up-ing her.

"Very good, Wednesday. You may have competition for first chair, Bianca." Mrs.Thronhill says happily. I smile a bit as I contain the urge to ramble about plants.

"Wednesday, perhaps you can identify the ghost orchid's greatest qualities." Mrs.Thronhill says, encouraging the boy.

"Resilience and adaptability. It's able to thrive in even the most hostile environments." He answers.

"But its mere presence can change the ecosystem, causing the established plants to reject it." Bianca buts in. I roll my eyes internally at her need to be the best at everything. If I could, I would press her mute button.

"Usually, because the native species is allowed to thrive unchecked." Wednesdsy fires back. "Nothing a Weedwacker couldn't fix."

"You can most certainly try." Bianca says sarcastically.

"Are we still talking about flowers?" Xavier asks.

"Thank you for those illuminating insights. Clearly the plants aren't the only carnivores in class today." Mrs.Thronhill jokes.