(2) Chapter 6: Poe Cup (part 1)

I can't completely remember this episode, but I'll try.

Your POV

While I was walking back to my dorm, Wednesday jumped out of nowhere to grab my arm.

"Hello to you too?" I greet.

"Bianca's done something to try to sabotage your Poe Cup." He quickly explains as he walks with me.

"And how do you know that?" I ask while struggling to get my keys out of my tight pockets. Damn woman jeans...

"I may have accidentally spied on a conversation between her and Xavier while trying to find something on Rowan." He answers as he looks anywhere but my face, which is unusual. He usually stares right into someone's eyes in a sort of intimidating way whenever he speaks.

"Well, let's see if what you claim is true." I say as I unlocked the dorm door.

"I'm literally having a heart attack right now." Enid says as soon as the door opens. "Yoko's in the infirmary!"

"What happened?" I ask as I go to her side to ease her.

"Garlic bread incident at dinner.
...
She had a major allergic reaction. She's out of the Poe Cup. I don't have a co-pilot." She explains with a sniffle.

"It wasn't an accident. Bianca's behind it." Wednesday says as he releases my arm to avoid Enid seeing.

"How do you know?" She asks after wiping her eyes.

"Doesn't matter. We are going to take her down tomorrow." He says, avoiding her question.

"Wait. You're joining the Black Cats?" Enid asks.

"You're willing to do that?" I ask, never thinking he'd lower himself enough to participate in something he found stupid.

"For us?" Enid asks before flicking her eyes towards me, but I don't notice it.

"I want to humiliate Bianca so badly that the bitter taste of defeat burns in her throat." Wednesday admits. A smile grows on my face as I feel a mutual hatred towards Bianca.

"Yeah, but mostly you're doing it because we're friends, right?" Enid asks.

"Tell me how she keeps winning." Wednesday demands, avoiding her question again.

"It's a big migraine... The past two years, no other boat has made it across the lake and back without sinking." I explain.

"Sounds like sabotage."

"There are no rules in the Poe Cup, and she is a siren, which makes her master of the water." Enid says, sounded sort of defeated. I rub her shoulder for comfort, to which she happily takes in the physical affection.

"Then we just need to beat her at her own game." Wednesday declares as I see the cogs in his brain churning.

...

"We're all set." Enid says.

"Good. Thing's in position." Wednesday assures.

"Wanna tell us what you two were up to?" I ask as I grab my costume and mentally prepare myself for the embarrassment.

"And spoil the surprise?" He teases.

"Speaking of surprises, your costume's in the tent." I say, sending him a malicious smile before going to change.

"Costume?" I hear him ask before I close my curtain.

...

"OMG, you guys look purr-fect!" Enid yells as Wednesday, and I leave our changing areas in costume.

"Only thing, where are your whiskers?" Enid asks Wednesday. I had painted my whiskers and nose and paired it with a black top lip, nude bottom lip.

"Ask again, and you'll be down to eight lives." He threatens in response. Enid sighs before walking off.

"You look nice." I compliment as I had my arms crossed to cover my stomach. The suit made me feel exposed, I had to remind myself that I wasn't naked every 5 seconds of wearing it.

"As do you. You should wear skin-tight clothes more." He replies before taking hold of my forearm and dragging me with him to the boat as I struggled to find my words.

'Did he just fucking flirt!? No... he's Wednesday, he wouldn't waste his time flirting.'

Wednesday's POV

'Why did I say that and why did it sound more scandalous than it should have?'

I struggle to stop my heart from exploding as I dragged Y/N with me. They seemed shocked as well, seeing as they weren't saying anything in response. I didn't want to apologize, though. I was telling the truth, or alteast my own opinion, and it felt like a weight came off my shoulders for a brief moment when I said that.

'Maybe Enid's diagnosis is right... no way would I have said that to them if I wasn't afflicted with this disgusting thing we call "Love"...'

...

Your POV

"What do we have here? The runt of the litter." Bianca teased as we got ready.

"For the record, I don't believe I'm better than everyone else. Just that I'm better than you." Wednesday says, ticking her off further. I stick my tongue out as I use my middle finger to mimic picking my nose at her, to which she glares at me.

"I want to welcome you all to the Edgar Allan Poe Cup. This is one of Nevermore's proudest annual traditions, dating back 125 years.
...
Each team must row across to Raven Island, pull a flag from Crackstone's Crypt, and hustle back without sinking or being sunk.
...
First team to cross the finish line with their flag wins the cup and bragging rights for a year, as well as some special privileges.
...
Let the Poe Cup begin!" Weems declares before everyone rushes to Bush their boats and begin paddling across the lake.

Enid yells as we all paddle. I ignore how my suit feels as I focus on paddling as well as I can.

"Oh, excuse us!" Xavier teases as his boat goes ahead. I roll my eyes at their competitive tease before they pull a lever, making an axe swipe above our heads.

'Why the fuck is nearly killing us allowed!?'

Soon enough, we come across some obstacles that could easily break our boats. I sigh as we try to turn our boat in order to avoid splitting in half. The jesters end up bumping into one of the obstacles. So much for trying to sabotage us and end up sabotaging themselves.

"Thing." Wednesday says, signaling for Thing to do as they planned. Thung scurries as he helps stop Bianca from ending our race.

"Stay here and make sure Bianca can't sabotage our boat." Wednesday demands from both Enid and I.

"Fine, but if you faint again and risk us losing, I will rip your eyes out." I threaten, which makes his face turn red. That's not what I was going for... but whatever gets him to comply.

He soon runs off while Enid and I protect the bot along with the other girls.

"I have an idea.. Thing, I need you to distract a couple of jokers." Enid says while nodding at me to take her place while she's gone.