Chapter 7 - Welcome to Hell

The head disappears. Through the ringing in his ears O'Neill hears more yells coming through the hole. As the colonel struggles to stand, he sees the head reappear, followed by a hand holding a pistol. The barrel swings forward just as the colonel points his weapon and fires a short burst that sprays the hole near the pistol. The head jerks back out of the hole and the pistol falls to the floor. More shouts and yells can be heard. O'Neill stands, spitting dust out of his mouth. Lorenzo and Davis still haven't moved, but he can hear moaning. O'Neill watches the hole, keeping his weapon aimed.

"Colonel!"

Sergeant Sullivan reaches him first, the rest of the team arrives within a few seconds. An object the size and shape of a basketball, trailing a thin wire, drops through the hole. It hits the floor, bounces a few times, and then rolls in front of the blast debris. Three legs pop out of the bottom to stabilize the spherical object. The upper half of the ball begins to rotate. Gren yells as a dark hole in the top moves into view.

Dr. Jackson yells, "It's a camera! They use it to scan a corridor before an assault team drops through!"

O'Neill lowers his gun, aiming at the sphere. Before he can pull his trigger the ball shatters, both Sullivan and Bundy firing quick bursts at the camera. The two men raise their weapons and point them back at the hole.

As O'Neill directs his attention back to the hole he calls out.

"Martinez, Sully, grab Lorenzo and Davis. Bundy, set up a controlled retreat. The rest of you, find the nearest stairs. Go!"

Lorenzo moans and Davis struggles to get up. Martinez and Sully grab the men's weapons and toss them to Carter.  They then bend down and grab the two men, throwing them over their shoulders in a fireman's carry. Martinez and Sully turn and quick walk down the corridor.

O'Neill backs down the corridor, watching the hole. He keeps his weapon aimed at the hole, waiting to see what comes through next. Another head, followed by an arm and a weapon, appears, this time on the opposite side of the hole. O'Neill fires another short burst. The head disappears.

O'Neill turns and runs down the hall. He hasn't gone more than a half a dozen steps when he hears something hit the floor. Risking a quick glance he sees it isn't another sphere but something smaller. He yells "GRENADE" and drops to the floor. Almost immediately there is a flash as the grenade detonates. The blast wave rolls over him and shrapnel strikes the wall and ceiling. Unharmed, O'Neill jumps up. Several ropes drop through the hole. He removes a grenade from his harness as he begins to back rapidly away from the hole. He pulls the pin and releases the safety. He lets the grenade cook for a second and then gives the grenade a quick underhanded throw toward the hole. O'Neill turns and runs, yelling, "FRAG OUT!" The grenade bounces and skids across the floor toward the ceiling debris. It hits the edge of the debris and rolls against the wall.

O'Neill runs for a short distance then throws himself to the floor. A split second later his grenade detonates. The sound reverberates up and down the corridor. He jumps up, fires a quick burst toward the hole and runs as fast as he can. He hears faint yells and screams from behind.

"That might slow them down a bit," he thinks.

He hears faint 'metal on metal' sounds behind him. There is an explosion, followed a few seconds later by another. "Must be clearing the way before dropping down," he thinks.

Someone standing above the hole fires a short burst into the corridor. The sound of ricochets echoes down the corridor. He grabs another grenade and throws it down the corridor. He follows the grenade with another gunfire burst. A flash lights up the corridor as his second grenade explodes.