Chapter 8 - Meeting New Friends

O'Neill gives a short laugh. "Thank you, Captain, you know how to make a person feel welcome."

"Sorry, Sir, but that's what Daniel says our escorts call it. They're really upset about being here. They've been discussing this decision with Daniel since we started down the stairs. Daniel's been trying to help them understand that none of us wants to be here."

To O'Neill the heat and humidity doesn't seem as bad on the ground as it did at the top of the column. The air is still heavy with humidity but the ground appears dry. A strong breeze brings with it a confusing smell of salt water and decay. A gust of wind swirls around the column, picking up fine dust and pelting the team with it. There is a faint and constant hum as the wind blows among the columns and exposed metal. The pitch varies as the wind's speed and direction change.

The colonel takes a quick look at the ground around the platform. "What's the situation?"

"Well, you can see that the ground is dry. It's a little uneven, dusty, a few inches of soft soil but with firm ground below. We shouldn't have any problems walking on it. We have the cart for Randall so he shouldn't slow us down much." She points toward Randall.

O'Neill watches the corporal walking around, testing the splint. "How is he doing?"

"As well as can be expected. Tired from the walk down. He's walking around to see how the splint holds up. Seems to be okay. So far."

O'Neill surveys the rest of the area. The two lights mounted above the platform provide enough light for O'Neill to see how the team has spread out around the platform. Unfortunately, the light is quickly swallowed up by the pervasive darkness. Since the lights are only on one side of the column the rest of the area surrounding the column is in perpetual darkness. The lights on the nearest columns are easily visible but they provide little illumination for the large area between the columns. O'Neill looks up at the beams running across the metal sky. No lights have been suspended from them or the cross beams. Almost all of the three hundred meters between the columns is dark. That darkness, combined with the relatively short distance between the floor above and the ground, continues the strong claustrophobic effect they experienced in the corridors above.

Bundy notices that Dr. Jackson is missing. "Where's Dr. Jackson?"

"He took a walk toward that column." Carter points to her right.

"Oh?" O'Neill and Bundy turn to take a look.

In the dark area between the columns they see a faint bobbing light. O'Neill assumes it's Dr Jackson.

Carter continues. "He thinks he knows the direction to take, but he wanted to be sure so the group wouldn't have to waste their energy walking in the wrong direction."

Before O'Neill can speak, Carter provides an answer to the obvious question. "I had Teal'c go with him."

"How's he going to know which direction is the right one?"

She points toward the column and up. He turns to look. There, above the platform and between the emergency lights he sees a series of large, faded characters.

"Daniel says they match the coordinate numbering scheme he saw above. He'll know which way to go once he sees the numbers on the other column."

"Where are Misters Jenz and Gren?"

"They decided that Daniel didn't need their help to check out the column." She points to the middle of the area lit by the platform's lights. There, standing back-to-back well within the circle of light, stand the two men.

"I guess they feel a little safer in the middle."

O'Neill steps to the edge of the platform. Below he sees that Randall has moved to his cart. Watkins stands watch over him.