Chapter 10 - Up and Away

O'Neill and Bundy take their time walking up the stairs. After the first few steps they realize that the rise between the steps is too high for Randall's injured leg. The height will force him to move up the stairs one step at a time, stepping up with his good leg first and then bringing the injured one up. They know this will be struggle for him. Even so, they catch up with Randall and Watkins sooner than they thought. Forced to take one step at a time, Randall's effort is taking its toll. In the dim light they see the concerned look on Watkins face as he tries to help. O'Neill and Bundy stay several steps behind, watching the ground for anyone who might be following. Randall's heavy breathing can be heard over the whistling wind.

By the time they reach the top of the steps the platform is empty, the rest of the team having already moved to the beam. At this height the breeze is much stronger. They must be close to the sea or ocean; they can taste the salt in the air.

"Great, which beam?" Bundy asks, looking up at the nearest one. They've become slightly disoriented walking up the winding stairs in the dark. O'Neill steps to the edge of the platform and looks down. He can't see the river from this side, just the dark lake and the shoreline.

"Must be on the other side of the column."

In the dim light O'Neill notices Randall leaning against the column, taking deep breaths. Randall looks physically exhausted.

"Randall, take a five-minute break."

"No, Sir, I'm okay, just give me a–"

"That wasn't a request, Corporal. And make it ten minutes."

"Yes, Sir."

The colonel knows ten minutes is not long enough, but he wants Randall to recover a little before they move him onto the beam. As Randall rests against the column, O'Neill walks across the platform. Leaning over the edge he looks at the water, which has risen considerably during their journey up to the platform. As he and the captain had started up the steps, the edge of the water had been about thirty meters from the bluff. Now, less than ten meters separate the bluff from the edge of the water. Looking along the shore he realizes that almost a meter of water covers their trail. If the Federation does track them to the edge of the lake, they won't be able to track them to the column. At least something is going right.

Bundy steps to the railing and looks over. "Hey, looks like the water's covered our trail nicely." He straightens. "I guess we'll have to use the catwalk."

"Yep, I guess so." He tells the captain to wait so Randall will have a little more time to rest. After twelve minutes O'Neill decides it's time to go. "After you, Captain."

Bundy takes the lead with O'Neill close behind. Randall and Watkins follow. As they reach the first beam, Bundy softly calls out but no one answers. They continue along the catwalk. Darkness quickly overtakes them as they move along the catwalk and away from the platform's light. They hold tightly to the railings and step cautiously. O'Neill risks a glance at the river. It looks as if the river has actually reversed its flow. Carter was right about the water rising. He can also see several large shadows moving through the water to where they had once stood.  It was a good thing they decided to try an alternate route.

They reach the next beam. Even in the dark they can see the shadow of something dangling from the beam. As they get closer it appears to be a pair of legs with relatively small feet attached.

Bundy whispers, "That you, Captain?"

The legs disappear as a voice says, "Yes, it's me. Expecting someone else?"

"One never knows around here. The colonel's with me. Watkins and Randall are right behind us. I'll climb up, then we'll see if we can lift Corporal Randall up."