Chapter 13 - Friend or Foe

O'Neill looks up. Twenty meters in front of him he can see Daniel's group walking slowly toward the bridge. The colonel's gaze goes beyond Dr. Jackson and follows the road and walkway toward the bridge. The road curves to the right just before it reaches the bridge and disappears behind a building. The walkway continues until it reaches a long ramp connecting it to the bridge, which lies a meter or so above the walkway.

O'Neill silently curses when he sees two vehicles parked next to where the walkway and bridge intersect. One is a Humvee-sized four-wheeled vehicle. The other is a familiar-looking, six-wheeled transport. Both vehicles mount a heavy machine gun, each manned by a soldier. Though the barrels are pointed up O'Neill knows they can be easily and quickly pointed at them. A dozen armed men stand next to and in front of the vehicles. O'Neill assumes that the man standing with one foot on the humvee's bumper is their commanding officer.

Other than the two men manning the machine guns, the soldiers seem to be at ease and not worried about the approaching armed men. Either they are very confident in their abilities or they do not expect a fight. There is an insignia on the side of the vehicles. O'Neill doesn't recognize it but he knows it doesn't belong to the Federation.

"Okay, I'll be right there."

O'Neill quickens his pace, forcing himself to relax.

O'Neill whispers to Carter as he passes. "Carter, tell everyone to keep their weapons down, fingers off the trigger. They are to stay relaxed but alert. I want eyes on the buildings and shops, just in case. But avoid doing anything stupid. Once you've done that make your way to the front."

She nods in agreement and begins whispering instructions to the rest of the team. Soon O'Neill reaches Dr. Jackson and his group. With a nod the group continues walking calmly toward the welcoming committee.

O'Neill speaks in a low voice, "Do our friends have any thoughts?"

Dr. Jackson answers quickly. "Nope. They don't recognize the markings. They're not sure how far away from the Federation we are. The Federation has a wide reach, lots of affiliations and alliances. This may be an independent city, trading with the people living in the 'badlands' outside of this city."

"So what you are saying is, they may or may not be friendly."

Dr. Jackson nods. "Yes, that pretty much sums it up."

They continue their slow walk toward the bridge. By now Carter has caught up with them. As they reach the ramp the commanding officer straightens, takes his foot off the bumper, and walks toward them. Another man moves in behind the commander. The two groups meet halfway up the ramp. The commanding officer says a few words and Jenz responds. As they speak the commanding officer glances at O'Neill and Carter, pausing for a moment as he looks at Carter. He then quickly scans the other groups as they approach the bridge.

Dr. Jackson listens intently. Finally, the two men stop speaking. The officer looks at O'Neill as if waiting for him to say something. O'Neill smiles.

"Daniel?"

Daniel steps forward and speaks to the officer. As he does he points to O'Neill and says his name. The officer gives a slight nod of acknowledgment. Dr. Jackson does the same for Captain Carter and mentions her name. The officer looks intently at her. He speaks. Dr. Jackson is a little taken aback. Then he responds.

Daniel turns to O'Neill and Carter.

"It appears that we are in the city of Wes'lek. This is Commander Callis of the Wes'lek security force."

When the commanding officer hears his name he smiles and gives a slight nod.

"Maren told him we are from the far side of the city. After visiting Dah'lek we had decided to visit other cities, like this one. We had an accident with our vehicle which is why we are walking. I told him we hope to open trading alliances with the cities we visit. I added that Maren and Lorn have been nice enough to guide us on our journey. Maren also mentioned that we had heard stories about a large ring set in the ground. We wanted to see if it was true."