Chapter 17 - The Final Battle

Two Fon'luc helicopters arrive less than an hour after the commander's call for reinforcements. The new arrivals come in fast and low, flying along the top of the ridge. The SG team watches as the helicopters fly over the stargate and circle around to the front of the ridge. Several pairs of legs dangle from the open hatches, the men inside holding on tightly. One of the helicopters banks sharply as it makes a tight turn and flies back to the Federation camp site. The other hovers over the bottom of the ramp and does a quick three hundred sixty degree turn before dropping quickly to the ground.

Martinez and Davis watch the aerial ballet as they sit on the wall near the top of the ramp. Martinez turns to Davis and says, "Show offs."

Davis laughs. "Yeah, probably Marines. I like their style."

As soon as the helicopter touches down, several soldiers jump out of the helicopter. As two of the soldiers reach under the helicopter to release a small container from the bottom of the fuselage, three other men carefully step down from the open hatch. The solders clamber back onto the crowded helicopter which then leaps into the air. It zooms over the gate toward the Federation campsite.

Though not dressed as solders, the three men act as if they are on a serious mission. They open the container and each man pulls out two large duffel bags, slinging them over their shoulders. As soon as they reach the top of the ramp they scan the area, spotting the Fon'luc commander talking with Dr. Jackson. They walk toward the commander, calling out to her. She directs the men to the gate platform. They turn and walk briskly toward their patient.

The original medical technician had stayed with Watkins, desperately working with Lorenzo to keep Watkins alive. Lorenzo sees the new medical team approaching. He stands up and steps to the side. One of the men, Lorenzo assumes he is an actual doctor, drops his bags and kneels next to Watkins. He examines the unconscious man as he rapidly asks questions to the original med tech. The doctor looks up and tries asking Lorenzo a question. Unable to answer, Lorenzo calls out to Dr. Jackson.

"Dr. Jackson!" Dr. Jackson looks toward the platform. "We need your help over here."

Daniel runs over. The medical doctor asks questions to the anthropology doctor in a rapid fire manner. Dr. Jackson can barely keep up. As Daniel provides answers, one of the other men takes notes. Apparently satisfied, the doctor begins pulling supplies from one of the bags. He continues his examination, talking to the other two men as he does. The one not taking notes moves to the other side of Watkins and kneels to help the doctor examine the patient. The doctor makes a final statement to Dr. Jackson and then directs the rest of his questions to the medical tech who had first examined his patient.

Dr. Jackson steps back and then walks toward the colonel.

"What did he say, Daniel?"

"He had a lot of questions about how Ned was hurt. What we had done to help him, and so forth. His final comment was about setting up a surgical tent. They can't wait for the full medical team to arrive, they have to operate now."

O'Neill speaks into his radio, "Martinez, Davis, come to the gate platform."

The two men show up within a few seconds. "Yes, Sir?" Sergeant Davis asks.

"Work with Dr. Jackson and the medics here. Looks like they want to set up a surgical tent."

"Yes, Sir. What do you need, Dr. Jackson?"

"Hold on." Dr. Jackson yells at the technicians. They spend a few minutes describing what they need. One points to an undamaged section of the nearby wall.

Dr. Jackson relays the instructions. "Find four sturdy saplings among the trees, about three meters tall. Cut them down and bring them over there, next to the wall. We need to set up a tent."