Chapter 16 - The End of the Road

The three men are unable to get a clear view of the fight. Tracer rounds stream toward the mystery helicopter as more flashes appear at the nose of the Federation helicopter. Though fired at almost point-blank range, the heavy-caliber bullets seem to have no effect.

The new helicopter slides to the side, again trying to pass. The Federation helicopter turns to keep its nose pointed at the newcomer. Flashes again light the space between the two helicopters as more rounds strike but amazingly cause no harm to the obviously non-Federation helicopter. The Federation helicopter stops firing and begins backing away from the other helicopter.

Bundy speaks softly to the colonel. "Damn, that new chopper must have pretty thick armor to withstand that kind of punishment."

The Federation helicopter stops backing away. The other helicopter has not moved from its position. The two helicopters have now shifted so that the team can see them facing each other, roughly one hundred meters apart. Smoke appears next to the Federation helicopter, quickly dissipated by the rotor downwash. O'Neill watches a missile salvo leap toward the helicopter. The missiles explode in a brilliant flash. The men cannot help but notice that the missiles never reach the helicopter. The missiles exploded a short distance in front of the mysterious helicopter.

O'Neill turns to Bundy, "Did those missiles explode before they hit the chopper?"

The captain doesn't understand the significance of this. "Yeah, so?"

O'Neill turns to the doctor, hoping that Daniel will tell him he didn't see what he thought he saw. Before the colonel can ask his question a second salvo leaps toward the new helicopter. Again, the missiles explode before they can reach the mystery helicopter.

As they watch in stunned silence, a flash of light suddenly leaps from the front of the seemingly invincible helicopter. The energy blast strikes the nose of the Federation helicopter, causing it to shudder from the impact. A second blast and then a third strike the Federation helicopter. The third blast rips through the armor, almost splitting the helicopter in half. The stricken helicopter bursts into flame and drops, falling behind the ridge. A ball of flame shoots up toward the sky as the helicopter explodes.

O'Neill has seen those energy blasts before.

Dr. Jackson almost screams, "Holy crap! Jack, did I just see what I think I just saw?"

O'Neill sighs. "Yeah, a Goa'uld blaster. And the chopper must have a Goa'uld defensive shield. Crap, and I didn't think things could get worse."

The new helicopter moves across the ridge toward the gate. The second Federation helicopter had begun moving toward the newcomer as its companion opened fire. With the quick destruction of the first Federation helicopter the remaining helicopter has stopped, hovering some distance away, uneager to challenge the newcomer. Without warning it spins around and returns to the camp. It passes the top of the ridge and drops behind it.

"Sir," Carter calls out. "The troops out front! Davis says they are leaving.  They seem to be headed back to their base camp. Something is going on."

The new helicopter reaches the cut in the ridge. The single spotlight comes back on, bathing the gate area in light. O'Neill turns around and yells to the team.

"Stand down! Everyone, stand down!"

An amplified voice, slightly feminine, emanates from the helicopter.

Daniel listens carefully. "Jack, I'm thinking she is telling us to put down our weapons. If we fail to comply we will be fired upon."

O'Neill jumps down from the wall. He unfastens his automatic weapon from his harness and slowly places it on the wall. He pulls out his pistol and slowly and very visibly places it next to his assault weapon. He turns and calls out to the group to do the same. Bundy and Dr. Jackson jump to the ground and follow the colonel's lead. The rest of the team place their weapons, including the remaining missile launchers, on the ground.