Chapter 16: Oceana

The dolphin ride was much shorter than Katherine had expected. They had left at noon and arrived near sunset. As the dolphins pulled them through the kingdom, Katherine had a chance to look around.

They wove around giant lily pads with houses on top, lily pads with parks, you name it. Axolotl villagers looked up from their work and waved to them. Axolotl children chased each other through the water or held the kelp leashes of sea turtles.

As they arrived at the palace, Lizzie was waiting for them. 

"Hey!" She called. Quickly composing herself, she said, "I mean, welcome to Oceana. Come inside the palace."

Axolotl servants took the kelpie and they stepped inside. The palace was three giant quartz towers with live coral roofs and prismarine floors. Lizzie led them up to an outdoor level that held a table loaded with food. Four chairs sat around the table. Seated in one of them was King Joel.

"I was only expecting Katherine and Shelby," she admitted, dropping her queen-face. "Wait- Scott?!"

"Hi," Scott said sheepishly. "I...may have gotten lost in the Misty Forests for five years."

Lizzie sighed. "Of course you did. Jimmy misses you."

"We told him," Katherine and Shelby chorused together.

"And who're you?" Lizzie asked Sausage.

"Um, Sausage, Your Majesty."

"Nice to meet you," Lizzie said. "Everyone, this is King Joel of Oceana."

"Hey," Shelby sat. Joel grinned at them. 

While they'd been talking, axolotl people had brought two more chairs. They sat down and talked as they ate.

"So, how was the journey?" Lizzie asked.

"Oh, you know," Shelby sighed. "Weird forest, creepy shadow-people, a stuck gate, lake full of boiling acid, Katherine almost got eaten by a kelpie, the usual."

"Right, that kelpie," Lizzie said. "It's strange that in Evermore we were taught that they were extinct. I mean, since moving I've learned about all sorts of 'extinct' creatures- sea serpents, dragons, unicorns, even krakens. So, why do you think Father hid their existence?"

"I don't know," Shelby sighed. "Can you open the letter?" She handed it to Lizzie, who smiled at her.

"Of course." She broke the seal on the letter and froze, staring at the paper inside.

"What is it?" Shelby asked. She walked over and her eyes widened at the sight of the words.

"What is it?" Katherine asked.

Wordlessly, Shelby handed over the letter. 

Dearest Lizzie,

I have written to you to tell you of a most happy event. You are invited to Princess Shelby's wedding! I have found an earl's son who is happy to marry her. Please accompany her back to Evermore, where the ceremony will be held.

Sincerely,

The King