Chapter 17: Talks and Tears

Katherine stumbled blindly out of the room.  Her heart was beating too fast, and her brain was whirling, and the horrified look Shelby was giving her wasn't helping. She turned and ran. Her feet raced away even as her mind cursed her for being a coward.

I'm supposed to protect her, Katherine thought frantically. I'm supposed to protect her and I can't.

This wasn't a problem that could be solved with a sword or a dagger. This...had Shelby known about this? No, or she wouldn't have looked that surprised. Katherine stumbled through a doorway and sat down on the balcony that it led onto. She stared down at the starlit ocean and thought about this new issue.

I've failed and I'm not even a knight yet. I can't protect her from this. I shouldn't have run away- but how could I have protected her even if I'd stayed in there?

She felt tears welling up in her eyes and wiped them away furiously.

I shouldn't be crying. It's not ME that's being forced into an arranged marriage.

Katherine glared out at the ocean. It seemed too perfect, too beautiful for a night when a tragedy was happening. Star-and-moonlight reflected off of the water, giving the illusion of silver lilypads floating among the green ones. In the distance, a whale sang a lonely song.

"Katherine?"

It was Shelby. Katherine turned around. Her friend's face was dry, unstained by tears, and Katherine felt ashamed all over again, that she was the one crying. Her friend's eyes were wide with worry, both for herself and Katherine.

"Are you okay?" she asked. 

"Are you?" Katherine asked.

Shelby sighed and sat next to her. "I'm a princess, Katherine. This was always my destiny."

"Really?" Katherine asked.

Shelby didn't meet her gaze. "It's the sad truth of royalty," she sighed. "Our stupid parents choose who we marry. Even if we−if if we're, um...in love with someone else already."

"Someone else?" Katherine asked. "Who?"

"Doesn't matter," Shelby muttered, staring down at the ocean.

"You can tell me," Katherine insisted. Was she going to be sad if it wasn't her? Yes. Was she going to tell Shelby that? Not in a million years.

"No, I can't," Shelby murmured.

"Yes, you can!" Katherine insisted. "C'mon."

"I can't."

Katherine sighed. "It's okay."

"Katherine," Shelby murmured. "I..." she threw her arms around Katherine's neck.

Katherine hugged her back. And if they stayed like that for hours, and maybe they both fell asleep on that balcony, no one needed to know.